Question about converting 720 to 1080

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

i was wondering if it is possible using adobe premiere pro cs4, to convert a 720 to 1080? i have footage that we used but we shot using 720 and was told we can convert it to 1080 does anyone know how that is done? thanks
      escobar

Participant

the best solution is to covert on the ingest using something like an AJA Kona or Xena capture card, however, i think that’s only if you are capturing tape.

If you are converting, for instance, DVCPro HD 720p from a P2 card, you want to use a program specifically made for compression, conversions, etc. So, if I were using Final Cut, I’d use Compressor for the conversion. I don’t think Adobe has an equivalent to Compressor, but if it does, then that’s what you would use.

Inactive

thanks, yeah thats what we used dvcpro hd 720 p2 card, so you do not know if adobe has one? thanks
      escobar

Participant

do you mean re-encode to produce a 1080p file from a 720p one? it’s useless and there’s absolutely no reason to do that.
      Because you’d be taking that much more HD space for ’empty’ video content. No software can make something out of nothing and you’d be increasing your video size file for nothing. It would be like taking a 128bit MP3 and re-encoding it to 256bit. In fact, you’ll lose a little bit of quality when you re-encode from 720p to 1080p. Unless you are transcoding in the original format or a lossless format, you will always lose a little bit of the original when encoding and re-encoding what has already been encoded.

Participant

Glad Escobar asked that question, I want to do the same, my reason is I have two cams, One is a Sony HVR-V1E and the second is a Cannon XL1.
      I want to shoot all the footage mainly in 1080 I know the XL1 is SD.
      I am learning at the moment and its a vertical Learning curve.
      The reason I want to go from 720 to 1080 is just to keep the size the same for editing, I know the Xl1 will not have the definition of the Sony.
      But I am assuming in editing, both clips will need to be the same size.
      The Xl1 is not myn so i dont know all the spec, Not sure what size it records at?

Kneichion

Participant

Kneichion,

If you plan on burning an SD DVD at the end, it will be better for you to down convert your HD to SD (DV/NTSC Anamorphic).

Whatever you do, shoot 16:9 with the XL so your aspect ratios match.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best laptops for video editing — 2021

For video editors, finding the perfect portable workstation is like catching a unicorn. It is no easy task to find the perfect balance of performance vs price point.
homicide-bootstrap