Put High Definition Video onto DVD to play in Blu Ray player?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Put High Definition Video onto DVD to play in Blu Ray player?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I have a JVC GZ-HD5 (High Definition, Hard Disk) camera. I’d like to be able to put my high definition video from my PCm which I have edited, onto a standard DVD, and play it in 1080i format. I realise you would not get hours off a DVD, but… if I could get 20 minutes of High Difinition video onto a DVD, I’d be happy. Is this possible? I’m a PC user. What tools would be required?

Inactive

It doesn’t seem very likely. I assume you already have the BluRay disc player (but not a burner.) So you can already upconvert your ordinary DVD’s to HD. But when it comes to putting HD video on a disc, the problem is simply a bandwidth problem. It isn’t about the small amount of space for video. It is about getting enough data off the disc fast enough to make a 1080i image. It would be like trying to watch a broadband video on a dial-up connection. The space for data is not as important as the speed the data can be read. The BluRay (and HD DVD) utilize a smaller blue laser to read the data faster than the larger red laser used on ordinary DVD’s. That being said, you might have some luck using a DivX compatible device to shrink the required bit-rate to something you can read off a DVD. But I’m sure you see the problem here, we are compressing a large image into a compact format then re-enlarging for the screen.

So you won’t be able to view your 1080i memories on disc until you can burn a BluRay disc. But you can still watch it via your camcorder.

Inactive

Yes. It is possible. Most Blue-Ray players can play DVD-R/RW DL discs, Some even regular DVD-R/RW discs and some even CDRs and other media. Check with each player’s specifications. The Sony PS3 is very versatile.

With your camera it can simply be done using either the computer with the supplied CyberLink BD Solution For Windows supplied ot the quicktime for Everio mac software. But both of these are poor solutions for High definition video playback. Or use the hardware recorder available as a package: JVC??s optional SHARE STATION DVD Burner (CU-VD40/VD3).

For a new setup for high definition video recordings, first record to a standard format such as MPEG4 AVC (H.264) either directly with a video camera that does that eg. Sanyo Xacti models. Then burn those files to (media such asDVD-R DL) etc.and play them on a high definition dvd/blue-ray player like the PS3. Or you can use other file formats and load them to your computer and then transcode them into formats capable of being read by most players that can read MPEG4 H.264 and then burn them to media that can be read by such players (look in their specifications), and then play them.

Inactive

yeah, it’s possible, Sony Vegas 8 Pro burns direct from timeline to BD. I’ve not personally done it as I still work in SD, but other users have.

John

Participant

Yes you can and it works and looks great.

But there are a fewlimitations you need to know about first.

Editing Software:
      When exporting, the HD editing software must be able to enode the 1080i HD video inBlueray compliant H.264 format. If it can encode the audio to Dolby Digital format also, that is a bonus but PCM works fine. (I am using Adobe Premier Pro 3 but Elements 4 and other software can probably handle the encoding OK.)

Authoring Software:
      The Authoring software must be able to accept H.264 format video,(some will only accept MPEG2 files) and be able to output to a disk image. ( I am using Encore CS3 but Elements may work here also.)

Data Rate:
      The video data rate will determine the players that your “Blueray DVD” can play on and will also affect the length of the video you can get on a DVD. At the moment I have settled on about 15Mbps, CBR with linear audio. With Dolby audio, I am sure thatit will work fine.
      I have consistant good results using 15Mbps (upper field first) for the video files and PCM for the audio. If you encode the audio in Dolby the video files could probably be 16Mbps or even a little higher.AVCHD from a hard drive or memory card camera is only about 16Mbps and uses H.264 The H.264 compression is very efficient and gives excellent results at this data speed. You will get about 30 – 35 minutes on a single layer 4.7GB DVD. (I have nottried double layer)

Disks:
      I had limited success with a variey of disks, but 100% success with Sony DVD-R and Verbatim DVD-R disks. Don’t even try DVD+R disks as the players I have tried will not recognise them.

Players:
      Your disks will probably not play on the earliest generation of Blueray players. Most of the recent models will play AVCHD format on DVD and will accommodate the spindle speeds necessary to read DVD data at this rate. I have a Sony BDP-S300 and it plays them fine. I took a trip to the local TV store and tried some disksin a few different players, and it seems that any of the AVCHD capable players will play them. They will not play in a DVD player.

Work path:
      1. Capture your HD video to your computer. (I am using MiniDV format tape)
      2. Start a new project and import and edit with your HD editing software, ensuring the total length is less than 30 minutes.
      3. Export your finished work to your hard drive as Blueray compliant H.264 and PCM (or Dolby) audio, setting the bitrate at 15Mbps CBR.
      4. Start a new project in your Authoring software and import the two files.
      5. Set first play and end action.
      6. Test the project and build to a disk image.
      7. With reliable disk burning software, (I use Nero 8, but earlier versions will do) burn the disk image to a DVD-R disk.
      8. Load in your Blueray player and enjoy.

I have not tried chapter points, but if you set the end play to chapter 1 the player will loop and play the movie again. I also have not tried menues but with 30 minutes or so of storage at about $1 swapping disks is fine for me compared to about $50 for a Blueray disk which can hold a couple of hours or so.

Cheers.

Participant

iankinnz, This is very good news! Thanks for the great answer!!! You just saved me the hastle of buying a Blu-Ray recorder and a stack of very expensive media! I owe you one!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap