Pros and Cons of HD camcorder?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I’ve been shooting some small movies with my still camera, and I’m thinking that I’d like to get a real video camera. First of all, I’m wondering if I really need HD, or if that’s too advanced for someone starting out. I don’t want to spend a lot of money, but I don’t want to waste money on a cheap camera that I’ll just have to upgrade in a year or two anyway.

I’m planning on putting finished movies on a standard DVD format for friends and family, as well as uploading some up on youtube or a similar site. So my question is, do I really need to get an HD camera, and if not, what kind should I look at as a beginner?

Participant

If you are not starting a business, there is nothing that will ever force you into upgrading.

I recommend getting an SD camcorder, most likely in the consumer range since you are starting out.You don’t need a professional camera to learn the basics of shooting and editing.

Most likely any computer these days can handle SD editing. Since you noted you are a beginner, i’m assuming you won’t be doing any advanced compositing any time soon either. So SD on your computer should be fine.

Participant

Flip Ultra HD.

Participant

I have a Sony HDR SR11 – it is HD (AVCHD) and I love it.

That said, I don’t currently own an HD TV (maybe when I get the tax refund) or a BluRay player (ditto) so I watch my stuff on SDTV’s on SD DVD players.

I almost always film (record, tape, choose your verb here) in the best HD settings (1920 X 1080) and downconvert in my NLE on render. I also have been known to put HD on YouTube or Vimeo so it’s nice to have.

Going forward, I think you will find HD becoming increasingly and rapidly more commonplace (only a few things have a faster adoption rate than the BD players).

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best video monitors — 2020

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap