Pros and Cons of HD camcorder?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I’ve been shooting some small movies with my still camera, and I’m thinking that I’d like to get a real video camera. First of all, I’m wondering if I really need HD, or if that’s too advanced for someone starting out. I don’t want to spend a lot of money, but I don’t want to waste money on a cheap camera that I’ll just have to upgrade in a year or two anyway.

I’m planning on putting finished movies on a standard DVD format for friends and family, as well as uploading some up on youtube or a similar site. So my question is, do I really need to get an HD camera, and if not, what kind should I look at as a beginner?

Participant

If you are not starting a business, there is nothing that will ever force you into upgrading.

I recommend getting an SD camcorder, most likely in the consumer range since you are starting out.You don’t need a professional camera to learn the basics of shooting and editing.

Most likely any computer these days can handle SD editing. Since you noted you are a beginner, i’m assuming you won’t be doing any advanced compositing any time soon either. So SD on your computer should be fine.

Participant

Flip Ultra HD.

Participant

I have a Sony HDR SR11 – it is HD (AVCHD) and I love it.

That said, I don’t currently own an HD TV (maybe when I get the tax refund) or a BluRay player (ditto) so I watch my stuff on SDTV’s on SD DVD players.

I almost always film (record, tape, choose your verb here) in the best HD settings (1920 X 1080) and downconvert in my NLE on render. I also have been known to put HD on YouTube or Vimeo so it’s nice to have.

Going forward, I think you will find HD becoming increasingly and rapidly more commonplace (only a few things have a faster adoption rate than the BD players).

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap