Progressive Scan vs. Interlaced

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I have been doing extensive research on:
      Interlaced vs Progressive scan

I had a man ask me today while he was looking for a TV at SAM’s which type of Television he should get.

My answer was this (in summary):
      Since the HD signal being broadcast is Interlaced on EVERY channel, having a Progressive Scan TV is futile. I also tried to explain the difference to this person.

Note of disclaimer:
      I was put on the spot by my brother-in-law when attempting to answer this question for his friend.

What I did not think about while at the store was that many DVD players are progressive scan capable or at least upconverted. Some DVD’s might be able to take advantage of Progressive Scan but most are written for 1080i and the convert to – P –just fills in the gaps that – i –causes which just makes the picture look bad with artifacts.

I guess my question would actually be, does it even matter at this point? As long as it’s HD, since every signal accept for a few are Interlaced, choose either one?

Inactive

You are right about HD making it moot.

When I hook up my FX1 which is 1080i to my 1920 x 1080 progressive LCD HDTV, the video is unreal.
      I really don’t think people can see the difference between i and p when it’s done right.

However, if I had to guess i’d say that progressive will become the standard if LCD’s continue to become the norm as all LCD’s are progressive. But I don’t know that for fact…. Interlace is old and I thought it was going to go away once the government forced everyone to digital signals but some weeds are hard to kill.

From a broadcast standpoint I see far more interlaced signals than I ever thought I’d see but again I doubt anyone can tell the difference.

Sometimes I think the only people that freak out over i vs p are sales-people and digital video camera owners. X-D
      I do know that if Sony ever made an FX1 with 1080p 30fps, I’d be too happy to give them my money – as long as it was less than 5k!!!

Inactive

hidef1080,

I think you made some great points. Thanks for contributing them here!

hidef1080 Wrote:

Sometimes I think the only people that freak out over i vs p are sales-people and digital video camera owners. X-D
      I do know that if Sony ever made an FX1 with 1080p 30fps, I’d be too happy to give them my money – as long as it was less than 5k!!!

Sony does make a model with HDV 1080/30p. We reviewed it recently, too. Check it out:

http://www.videomaker.com/article/13184/

-andrew

Inactive

Andrew,
      Curiously, the on-line version of the review does not have the large paragraph about progressive scan, which does appear in the hard-copy magazine. (Hmmm… will we be needing to refer to "hard-copy" to differentiate from on-line magazines?) But at least the on-line review does have the "Progressive, Naturally" header for the missing paragraph. 😀
      Ken Hull

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap