Progressive Scan and 16:9

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I want to know if there is video editing software that will make DV films progressive scan. Is that a feature you can add to a DVD to make it look better on a tv.

Also, should a film be edited to 16:9 if you know the television it will be shown on is a widescreen tv format? Any help or suggestions on what I am trying to accomplish would help!

John
      Arizona

Inactive

Creating progressive scan video is usually done at camera level. You actually shoot your video in a progressive mode. Not all cameras can do this. If you shot in normal mode, I’m not really sure if you can do anything about it after the fact. There might be encoders out there that can do something but I’m not sure. Maybe someone else can pipe in.

For your second question, I guess that’s really up to you. There is no right or wrong answer. I guess if I knew that I wanted to play this on a widescreen then why wouldn’t I edit it in 16:9. Just remember that you are stuck with bars on 4:3 TV’s.

Keep in mind that you’ll lose some resolution, some quality and some screen real-estate if you’re taking 4:3 DV footage and trying to turn it into 16:9. All your software is really doing is blowing up the picture and then cutting the top, bottom and sides off to give you your 16:9 screen. Most cameras have a kind of fake 16:9 setting which is more or less just re-arranging the screen frame real-estate or adding some guides in the viewfinder. Only the higher end expensive cameras have true 16:9 with optimal resolution. Just remember to make sure all settings are correct up front if you know you are going with 16:9.

RAM

Inactive

The info for the 16:9 was great. Gave me info on what I need to do. As for the progressive scan I guess I will look to see if my camera can film that way.

And I think my video camera has the widescreen function but have never used it. I have an canon optura Xi cam. So we will see.

Again thanks!

John
      Arizona

Inactive

John,

I was doing some work in Premiere Pro when all of a sudden it hit me. I think that by deinterlacing your whole (.avi) file when doing a final render, you are in essence changing your video to a progressive scan format. I never have really attempted this only because Im always making projects for use on NTSC monitors/TV’s. In other words I think you can create a progressive video from within your editing software as long as it has that capability. I hope maybe someone else will step in and verify this.

RAM

Inactive

Try it and tell us what you notice.
      But I personally don’t think true progressive mode can be done otherwise than in the camera.

Inactive

I know some Panasonic cameras claim to have “true” 16×9. What does this actually mean?

Participant

If it really is true 16:9 it should mean that the ccd chips are 16:9 chips. What panny models are you speaking of?

later
      ~Adam

Inactive

Not sure, just remember seeing ads, or something, for “true” 16×9.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best camcorders for any video shooter — 2021

Professional camcorders are often smaller, lighter, cheaper, and have more controls than other cameras. These are the best on the market today.
homicide-bootstrap