Professional Equip for large conference recordings

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Professional Equip for large conference recordings

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Inactive

I have been producing videos at my company for the past five years. I’ve recorded small speaker events, interviews and outdoor company outings. I have worked with small teams to record multi angle shots at some of these small events as well. I shoot the video, coordinate the shots, and produce videos to DVD, VHS and Web using Final Cut pro, DVD Studio Pro and Cleaner all on my Dual G5 Mac.

My primary job responsibility is in technology and I part-time as the video guy for our 300 employee firm. Throughout the year my company puts on several conferences each with their own keynote speaker sessions. The largest conference keynote has about six hundred attendees in a single conference room where the keynote speakers will present on stage with a large screen projection behind them

The other day the CEO of the company i work for asked me to bring my video editing abilities and equipment up a notch to produce professionally recorded content for these events. In the past we’ve always contracted out to whatever video firm was in the area of our conference. My CEO wants to bring this all in house and i’m to head it up, purchase the equipment, bring my skill-level beyond amateur and bring on a few employees to help assist me with each conference. He has no problem investing in all of this.. Meaning.. Hes comfortable spending whatever it takes to get professional results. You may be asking why not continue along the path of hiring 3rd party video firms to do this.. i’m not sure.. but i’m happy to oblige! He wouldnt flinch if we had to spend fifty grand. I dont want overkill just because the money is there. I want great results using either prosumer or professional equipment.

My question now is where to begin. I believe i have the right software to produce these events but the hardware is another matter. I currently use a sony DCRVX2000 3ccd dv cam along with a sony trv-900 3ccd dv cam. These cameras along with the above mentioned software and my G5 Mac is about all i have.

I need assistance with several things.
      – i need professional training. Where would you recommend i go? What are some of the best books on the subject!
      – i need multiple cameras (how about HD?)
      – i assume i’ll need the equipment to mix audio/video on the spot.. What should i get?
      – Lighting? or will hotel lights be sufficient?
      – Audio equipment, wireless or hardwired?

I am currently blazing through all the forums to pick up words of wisdom here and there but i could sure use some advice on where to begin with all of this. Keep in mind, i want to get training and buy equipment to handle recording a big 600 attendee keynote event where all the action takes place on the stage usually in front of a podium. I will continue recording smaller events as needed indoors and outdoors as well but the big event is what i need to prepare for.

Thanks in advance!
      John

Participant

From what you are already doing it appears that you already have a great deal of equipment in place to get professional work done. You really need to find out from the CEO what he wants to be able to do and then you can determine how to proceed from there. When money is no option it makes it a lot easier.

You made a list of several items that you need assistance with but many of those questions you probably could answer but I’ll help you a little here:

– i need professional training. Where would you recommend i go? What are some of the best books on the subject!

(Check out the http://www.geniusdv.com website for professional video training. They have a lot of training available for Mac users and PC users.)

– i need multiple cameras (how about HD?)

(Find out the type of quality your CEO wants and base your purchase on that decision)

– i assume i’ll need the equipment to mix audio/video on the spot.. What should i get?

(This will depend on your proficiency as a TD/Director. Do you need to be trained on Directing a live or tape production.)

– Lighting? or will hotel lights be sufficient?

(You will need to invest in some type of lighting because you want to be able to predict your environment a little. It might not be necessary but if you need them you will want to have them available.)

– Audio equipment, wireless or hardwired?

(This really depends on you and how you want your production to unfold. wireless or hardwired mics will work but each bring there on set of issues and both and equally good under different situations)

You did not list having a engineer but if you will be working with more high end professional video equipment you will need one available maybe not full time but maybe on a contract basis when you need them. Really having an video engineer will save you money and headaches down the road. I can recommend some if you need a good one.

Hopefully this information helps. If you need additional assistance send me an e-mail off-line I’d love to help with your project. I have 10 years of professional video experience.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition, and its...
homicide-bootstrap