Production Monitor

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Forgive me if this has already been asked but I have searched for it until my eyes are bleeding – well, not quite that much!

I recently attended the West Coast Videomaker Expo (which was great – my first one) and in one of the seminars it was recommended to use a NTSC monitor while shooting to make sure your camera is adjusted correctly for TV viewing – since the LCD screen is not nec. accurate.

ANY SUGGESTIONS? I found some in the B&H catalog made by Sony and JVC but, since I am new to more than just point and shoot, I don’t have a clue what to get. How many lines of resolution? What adjustments should it have? Would a TV work instead? Do most people even use one?

I will be doing training videos using a Canon XL2 in an indoor (homemade) studio. The final product will be DVD.

Also – is there such a thing as an EAST Coast Videomaker Expo? I am from WV.

Inactive

I can’t give you specifics on which monitor to use/get but a tv will only work if the actual color is NOT as important. Every TV in America will reproduce color different. Even same models. Its the old running joke about the American tv standard "NTSC". Never the same color. If accurate color is important a monitor is needed.

I typically white balance in the camera and thats it, so color accuracy is not as big an issue with me. Sorry I can’t point you in the right direction as far as which monitor to get, but now you know whether or not a tv will work for you.

Participant

Hi Butch,

First of all, you have to decide if you need a monitor at all.
      Monitors are being used in some cases during shooting to producer or director see what cameraman is actually shooting. It may help to justify the cost of production if you have your customer on the spot. So the customer may see that the money is not waisted, since the picture is provided instantly, and the customer may get involved into creative process.

Otherwise it is not needed. If you shooting news (ENG) style, you don’t have time for that.

And don’t forget, the monitor needs to be adjusted too. So if you decide to use a monitor, make sure you have colour bar generator (it could be built in your camera) to make necessary adjustments.

FAQ Video

Participant

Hi,
      If you are doing pro level work in a studio environment, I’d strongly recommend a monitor. Simply, you can see what you are doing BETTER before, during, and after a take. Point has been made that the only way you can be assured of consistent/repeat color is to white balance. However, with a monitor you can make creative decisions re placement of studio lights and composition of everything in the frame, as well as see the glitches, much easier than on a cam’s LCD or viewfinder. Also, if you are working as a TEAM, multiple heads can fit in front of and point at a monitor easier than in front of a cam’s LCD. There is also client impact if they are working with you or hanging around.
      I have worked effectively with basic Panasonic CRT monitors. These reasonably priced monitors seem to be missing from the B&H inventory at this time, but they do have monitors in there for less than $200, if money is a factor. An editing playback monitor is a possibility. I used to use a big TV (big by 90’s standards average by today’s standards!!) to watch myself when shooting my on-camera bits for cable access roll-ins. This was indispensable for setting up the lighting and my positioning, as the cam was 5-10 feet in front of me, making the LCD useless when I was in the "talent" position.
      Much succss to you.
      REGARDS … TOM 8)

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best live streaming equipment — 2021

These days, anyone with access to a smartphone can connect with fans and friends from all over the world. However, the more complex your stream, the more gear you’ll likely need. Each set up has advantages and disadvantages, and...
homicide-bootstrap