Producing training videos for client to sell. Royalties a factor?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Producing training videos for client to sell. Royalties a factor?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

So I’m working with a client who runs a Reflexology business, which is essentially a new agey massage practice. She asked me to produce training dvd’s for her to sell onlijne. Since I’m new to freelancing, I made a rough estimate of how long it will take me to produce and edit everything x my hourly rate ($20) and charged her $120 per episode.

Problem is that I have spent more than twice the amount of time working onthe firstepisode. She has already payed me for that one, so I won’t charge her extra for this one, but I’m thinking of negotiating for future episodes. Since we’ve already agreed (verbally, not by contract) a rate for each episode, would it be unprofessional for me to up my price?

Also, more importantly, should I worry about royalties since she’s planning on selling these videos?

designcbts
      Participant

Mike,

I don’t understand what “x my hourly rate” means.Since you both agreed to the terms, I’d recommend you follow through with the first episode. You could then approach her, armed with your hard-earned data (hours spent, materials used, etc.) and inform her the price will increase for the following episodes and you’ll expect royalties…

So yes, it would be unprofessional to up the price of the first episode.

billmecca
      Participant

Since she has already paid you for the first episode, that’s a done deal. I realize you took the hours you figured it would take and multiplied it by your hourly rate, but always, always, always pad the time. it will always take longer than you think.

I would talk with her when you deliver the first episode and be honest, telling her it took a lot more time than you thought it would (though now that one is done your workflow should smooth out since you have the experience with the first one and know where the bottlenecks occurred). And just talk to her about the cost of future episodes. if she balks at paying more then negotiate some resell rights for yourself… There are various ways you can to that, any way you can think of… you get a portion of the sales, or only you can make duplicates so she has to purchase copies from you, or you could sell copies yourself and keep all profits on those. Be creative, and when you do come to an agreement, put it in writing, and talk with a lawyer. CYA Cover Your A..

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.