Problems playing DVD’s on DVD recorders

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Problems playing DVD’s on DVD recorders

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I have a DVD made up of Mpeg files created in Vegas 6 and menus/burning done in Sony DVD Architect 3 to a DVD-R disc. It has a lead up sequence and a scene selection menu. The DVD plays perfectly well in many normal players that I have tried. When I try to play it in a Recorder/Player (i.e. a DVD player that is also a recorder) the lead in sequence and the menu play ok but when play or scene selection are selected the disc is rejected with an error – "cannot play disc due to navigation error". I have tried the disc in three different recorder/players with the same result. I then re-created the DVD with another software (Pinnacle Studio 10) using the same Mpeg’s with similar lead in and menu with the result that the disc plays perfectly well. Unfortunately I have only been able to try the disc in LG recorders and approaches to Sony for technical help have met a brick wall because of the assumption that the problem is with LG. I am not convinced that this problem is with the player particularly since the disc plays fine if created using different software. Has anyone else had a similar experience with DVD recorder/players please? Any help would be much appreciated. BTW the disc has been burnt on my computer, not in the recorder.

Inactive

Just a guess at this but I’m thinking that it has to do with the software that creates the DVD structure. Software is supposed to create DVD structures based on the DVD spec. And although the software may create a playable disc, the structure may vary. If the actual script codes are not right, some players may not know how to interpret them.

Vegas is a name I’ve seen for some time but never used. I would have to believe thats its a credible name and there shouldn’t be any issues with what it creates. Has Sony responded with the fact that the same disc created with another application works fine on the players in question?

Inactive

Interesting that, so far, Sony has carefully avoided that particular question even though I asked it specifically.

Inactive

Because you are trying to play these DVD’s in a player/recorder, I’m wondering if it has something to do with the DVD’s being finalized or not finalized.

Is there a chance that the player/recorders don’t really like finalized disks? After all they are designed to record and I’m thinking that it can’t if a disk was finalized.

Juat a thought!

RAM

Inactive

What company would sell a DVD recorder that can’t read a finalized disc? No person in the world would buy the product. The finalization process reads the information that was recorded onto the disc, creates a directory of contents, records that directory to the lead in section of the disc, and records the lead out portion of the disc. The directory is what makes the disc readable in other "non-recorder" machines. Along with recording a disc, stand alone recorders also have the unique ability to read a non-finalized disc. Its very odd the the opposite is happening here.

Inactive

As far as I know both applications I’ve tried, one that works (Pinnacle Studio 10) and one that doesn’t (Sony DVD Architect) have the same lead-in, lead-out process. Unfortunately, so far, Sony have steadfastly refused to respond to my question on how come the discs will play if created with one application but not with theirs.
    BTW a response from LG directed me to a disclaimer in the user manual which points the finger back to the software publisher and I quote –
    "If you record a disc using a personal computer, even if it is recorded in a compatible format, there are cases which it may not play because of the settings of the application software used to create the disc. (Check with the software publisher for more detailed information)"

• Viewing 5 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap