Pro Res 422 & HDV which one???

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      JoeLouw
      Participant

<!–[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]–><!–[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState=”false” LatentStyleCount=”156″> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]–> <!– /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:””; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:”Times New Roman”; mso-fareast-font-family:”Times New Roman”;} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} –> <!–[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:”Table Normal”; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:””; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:”Times New Roman”; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]–>

Im new to this video industry and Im learning at a super fast pace.

Just one obstacle Im facing now which has probably a very simple answer. Although my question might be long, the answer might be very simple. So sorry for the long question but here goes.

Ive been told that when you shoot HDV, you should get out of the HDV (MPEG 2) format as soon as possible because you are editing in GOP. Now I understand the whole GOP structure and I know that you are working with 15 pictures and it is not the best way to edit. This all makes perfect sense to me.

Ive just started capturing my HDV footage (shot on 1080 50i PAL) in FCP. Im working through Essential Editing from Larry Jordan (I know the information given in the lessons might be out-dated but he mentioned working with HDV the best is to capture it HDV, edit in HDV and export in Pro Res 422). I read an article yesterday on the internet http://library.creativecow.net/articles/poisson_chris/hdv-prores.php explaining how to capture your HDV footage in FCP with Pro Res. Ive done a small test and discovered that the Pro Res file size is 4.5x bigger than the HDV footage. (My HDV footage average about 11.8GB per hour). Now the interesting test that Ive discovered was that the captured Pro Res footage (which is the bigger file size) exports 4 x faster.

Another interesting discovery was that both Pro Res captured footage and HDV captured footage, after very little editing, plays very well in Quick Time. BUT the captured and edited in HDV footage, plays with a pause just before and just after every cut (edit point) in VLC player. The edited HDV footage, captured in Pro Res, does NOT play in VLC player. But besides all these discoveries that Ive made, my question is; HOW SHOULD I CAPTURE MY HDV FOOTAGE IN FCP????

Should I capture it with Pro Res turned ON or just HDV?

The type of editing that Ill be doing mostly will be showreels and short 5 10 min clips, as well as stock footage.

PLEASE, PLEASE HELP?????

Regards

Joe Louw

Rob
      Participant

I would go with the ProRes 422 (HQ) codec so you can get into an intraframe codec. (And for future reference, XDCam HD is also GOP, so if you shot in that codec, you’d want to transcode that footage on the import as well)

I dunno what a VLC player is, so I can’t help you there. I would try exporting your ProRes timeline has a different format and try to use that for your VLC player.

Rob
      Participant

Also, I think you will need at least a firewire 800 drive to edit ProRes.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.
homicide-bootstrap

Giveaway

Panasonic LUMIX GH5s w/ Leica lens

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN