Pricing for Comping a Video?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hi there,

I’ve noticed quite a few posts on these boards that discuss pricing methods for creating a video; however, I’ve got a different sort of situation here than I’ve seen mentioned before.

I am looking at a project where I need to piece together a video presentation for a high-end item that someone wants to sell. There will be no video footage, I need to piece it together from still images. So basically, I’ll be scanning in images, animating the scanned images, doing FX and transitions, adding background music etc.

How would I price out editing and compositing this video when there’s not actual video footage to be used??

Thanks for your help.

Inactive

Wow!

I know that doing what you’re going to do can take a lot of time depending on how detailed you get.

About the only thing I can think of is to charge or figure in an hourly rate you feel is fare to cover expenses. The problem there is that unless you have been doing this for a long time and have a good feel about how long it takes to do things just by looking at them, that number could be difficult to come up with. Most customers will want a flat upfront cost or if you’re lucky, a "not to exceed" cost.

My only other suggestion would be to look at the customer and determine if you think there is a lot of money floating around there. If it’s someone like Coke or Miller Beer, then I would think you could charge a premium versus a little corner ma and pa shop.

It’s a tough call!

RAM

Inactive

It would really boil down to how many stills you have to work with. Obviously the more the better, so ask the client for any and all supporting material they can come up with. Can any stills of the company be shot now- like the building, people at work, product line, etc.? Photos of brochures are good when layed out in an artistic manner. Spice up backgrounds with Digital Juice motions or whatever you use. Pan and Zoom will be a key in producing the effects you want. Pick a music background that not only goes well with the presentation, but has a beat to uplift the motions applied. Mix up the method of applying motions. If narration is going over the top, script to projected length and get the narration layed down first. Personally, I would start at $1,500 due to the fact that a lot of time would be involved in just trying to piece this puzzle together without a picture of what it looks like. This will call upon all artistic talent available. Good luck!

Inactive

As the previous user suggested, use any animated background, it will add extra sweetness to your proyect and will save time and money. You can even invoice your client, while you can use later for other projects.

If you have a good budget go to artbeats or gettyimages, also digital juice ( 499.99 to 699.99) per volume.

If you have a tight budget or you want to make some extra cash, check ebay, theres a lot of cheap stock footage. Check this ebay store, their footage is pretty good and low prices ( a volume, 30 clips for 59 bucks)

http://stores.ebay.com/Motiondrops

Good luck with your project. πŸ™‚

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Canon lenses β€” 2021

There are a number of Canon lenses on the market for both their DSLR and mirrorless cameras, these are our picks for EF, EF-S and RF mounts.
homicide-bootstrap