Pricing disparities

• This topic has 5 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 15 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I know there are some major disparities in pricing from the various retailers and it has been mentioned in this forum. I am a pensioner trying to eke out a living in videography and am now about to buy a PD170 or a DVX100A.

The problem I have is that some places like A&M Photoworld are offering some very attractive prices compared to others. I know that someone here suggested that Broadway Photo should not be considered but are there others that should be avoided and also are there any that you would consider reliable where an old chap like me can get a bit of a deal?

Many thanks. My money stays put until I can get some feedback lol.

Participant

Hi,
      Take a look at cnet.com. They list 10 sources for the PD170, from $2900 to $3200. bhphotovideo.com is the source for the $2900 price. cnet tracks and provides info on the sources they list.
      I have often used bhphotovideo. I bought a VX2100 and one of my Digital8 camcorders from them, as well as other gear and regular purchases of tape. The standard non-premium shipping service from NYC to DC is 3 days. They typically deliver to my door in 1 or 2 days.
      I believe bhphotovideo is usually closed on Sat but open on Sunday. Also note that under their holiday schedule, they are closing at 5pm on Thurs, 3/24, and remaining closed until 10 am on Sun, 3/27.
      REGARDS … TOM 8)

Inactive

Tom Scratch Wrote:

Hi,
      Take a look at cnet.com. They list 10 sources for the PD170, from $2900 to $3200. bhphotovideo.com is the source for the $2900 price. cnet tracks and provides info on the sources they list.
      I have often used bhphotovideo. I bought a VX2100 and one of my Digital8 camcorders from them, as well as other gear and regular purchases of tape. The standard non-premium shipping service from NYC to DC is 3 days. They typically deliver to my door in 1 or 2 days.
      I believe bhphotovideo is usually closed on Sat but open on Sunday. Also note that under their holiday schedule, they are closing at 5pm on Thurs, 3/24, and remaining closed until 10 am on Sun, 3/27.
      REGARDS … TOM 8)

Many thanks Tom. Yes, I had read that B&H were pretty good to deal with. I guess that I will play safe rather than sorry and contact them. I was just amazed at some of the low pricing out there and did not want to get burned. Again, thanks and have a Happy Easter.

best wishes,
      Trevor

Inactive

I’ll throw a quick plug for B&H, I have purchased two cameras from them and each experience was very good. Very good company to deal with.

John

I’ve dealing with B&H, personally and professionally, for many a year. I’ve never had a problem with them. They’re great!

Inactive

A great ‘thank you’ to Johnboy and Lucian for their reinforcement of B&H. I am feeling more comfortable now. I so very, very nearly went to A&M who had a great deal on those cameras. Maybe it would have been OK and maybe not but I would have sure been very nervous waiting after what I had heard from some of you kind members.

best wishes to you all for the holiday.

Trevor

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2020

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your...
homicide-bootstrap