**Premiere questions**

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hey, Premiere crowd! I’m a Final Cut, Avid, Vegas and Windows Movie Maker guy who is investigating Premiere, Audition and Soundbooth. I had a few questions:

1. Can Premiere do time remapping and freeze frames like After Effects and Final Cut?

2. Whichdo you like better – Audition or Soundbooth?

Thanks!

Inactive

Premiere CS3 can do all the stuff you want.

Soundbooth comes with Premiere – you have to buy Audition as a separate program.

The disadvantage with Soundbooth is that right now it is not multi-channel, but that is going

to change – there’s a Beta version out now that will allow multiple versions of audio.

Inactive

If you’re looking at Audition and Soundbooth, definitely go with Audition. Audition is closer to a Professional DAW. Soundbooth is really a basic audio editor for professionals on the go. If you like Vegas, then you could also try Sony Sound Forge. It’s a top-notch program that I think can compete with Audition. It’s not quite as powerful as ProTools, but it’s great for most videographers needs.

Jeremy

Participant

Yes! Sound Forge is great! It’s what got me into Vegas in the first place.

Thanks guys! Anyone else?

Participant

Everyone has made great points so far, just a couple of things:

From the Premiere Pro Help files about Time Remapping:

“You can speed up, slow down, play backward, or freeze video portions of a clip using the Time Remapping effect. Using speed keyframes, you can change speed numerous times within the same clip. For example, in a clip of a man walking, you can show him moving forward quickly, slowing suddenly, stopping mid-step, and even walking backward, before resuming his forward motion. Unlike Clip Speed/Duration which applies a constant speed across the entire clip, Time Remapping allows you to vary the speed throughout the clip, and to ease in or ease out speed changes.

You can apply time remapping only to instances of clips in the Timeline, not to master clips.

When you vary the speed of a clip with linked audio and video, the audio remains linked to the video, but remains at 100% speed, regardless of changes to the video speed. It wont remain synchronized.

You create variable speed changes by applying speed keyframes, either in the Effect Controls panel or in a clip instance in a video track of the Timeline. Applying speed keyframes in either location is similar to keyframing Motion, Opacity or any other keyframe effect, with one notable difference: a speed keyframe can be split to create a transition between two different playback speeds. When first applied to a track item, any change in playback speed on either side of a speed keyframe is instantaneous at that frame. When the speed keyframe is dragged apart and spread out beyond one frame, the halves form a speed change transition. Here, you can apply linear or smooth curves to ease in or ease out the change between playback speeds.”

I actually like time remappoing in AE a bit better than in Premiere. I just think it is smoother to apply and work with.

The responses above are correct, Soundbooth was created specifically to be Audition light. It was intended to allow video editors and animators who are often unfamiliar with working with sound the ability to quickly edit and sweeten audio files. The integration between Premiere and Soundbooth allows you to jump from the Premiere pro timeline directly to Soundbooth to edit audio, which is a pretty standard suite integration these days.

It is very surely not a mixing program though as it is at the moment a single track editor. You can download a beta copy of SoundBooth CS4 at http://labs.adobe.com that is multi-track though.

Participant

Hi all,

I am new to video and certainly new to video editing. I plan to be video taping horses for training segments. I purchased Premier Pro with my system and have found it hard to understand, use for a novice although it may be just sitting down and doing it. However!

Can anyone tell me why I would use Sony Pro over Premiere or the other way around? Are there real feature differences or is it more a matter of choice?

thanks so much,

horsepoet

Participant

Hey Horsepoet! You mean Sony Vegas Pro?

I LOVE Vegas because it is easier for me to understand, being an audio guy. I love that you can see the audio waveforms automatically, there is only one view screen(unlike Avid and Final Cut Pro), no importing to a project window(After Effects and Premiere?)or browser(Final Cut Pro)and no special modes to doing normal stuff in the timeline like trimming(Avid). Some people dislike Vegas because it is so different from other video editors, but that’s one thing I like about it. Very different. It’s whatI started with if you don’t count Windows Movie Maker.

To finish up with, I don’t see a reason why you’d pick Vegas or Premiere instead of the other. They seem about the same level, though Premiere seems to be more popular. Sit down and mess with Premiere. Premiere seems to be more like the other editors out there. Vegas is different. I just REALLY like Vegas and never tried Premiere.

But I’m going to change that now. Thanks everyone! Very helpful.

• Viewing 6 reply threads

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap