Premiere Pro CS4 converting subclips to master clips

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Premiere Pro CS4 converting subclips to master clips

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’ve just started using Premiere Pro CS4. I’m trying to breakdown a long clip I imported into smaller chucks that are not subclips. So I can get as far as making a subclip, but when I go to “Edit Subclip and then check “Convert to master clip” it does it, but it makes a copy of the original master clip, not just of the subclip. What am I doing wrong? It seems pretty straight forward.

Participant

I’ve read your posting a few times and still can’t figure out what the problem is. You checked off the box indicating you want to convert your subclip to the Master clip, you end up with another instance of the Master clip in the project panel. If all you wanted was a Subclip in the project panel (well, I use CS3 maybe 4 is different) but all you do is chose CLIP > Make Subclip. Or you can drag that portion to an empty part of the Project Panel. Then you can edit away and also delete your Master Clip w/o effect (if you aren’t using it elsewhere). If, later on, you want to use the Master Clip, I think that is where you use that check box.

Participant

I post the same question on the Premiere CS4 forum. I received one answer that says I didn’t down anything wrong. That you can’t make a Master Clip from the subclip, which seems odd since the manual says you can.

I have no idea what’s up.

Participant

I just tried it and it works for me.

Just for a test I created a new project, imported an mpeg, made a subclip, deleted the original file from the project (after removing it from the timeline) clicked on the the subclip in the Project files and then went to CLIP>EDIT SUBCLIP, I checked off the box to generate a master file and it worked fine.

BUT I didn’t notice at first that it did work because the name of the master became the name of the subclip and, the subclip I placed in a sequence to see how long it was, did not change. when I dragged the file into a timeline I could see that it was master length.

Maybe it did work on yours and you didn’t notice because the name didn’t restore to the master clip name and/or you did what I did, expect the subclip on the timeline to automatically update.

Participant

You are right! How confusing, that the subclip becomes the old master clip and the new master clip takes the name of the master clip it came from. That sort is very mind twisting…no wonder I couldn’t figure it out. Thanks so much for the help!

Matt

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best cinema cameras — 2021

Determining the best cinema cameras on the market today can be complicated. Here are the first cameras you should consider
homicide-bootstrap