Premiere 6.5 now crashes, reboots

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I had Premiere 6.5 working fine on my system which has a 1.8ghz CPU and 540k of ram. As my editing project became more complex, Premiere seems to be using excessive resources and now crashes every session after a few minutes, sometimes rebooting the computer. Do I need to reset a buffer limit or something? Seems to have gotten worse after I did a Real Time Preview. Can I delete the preview files so they aren’t loaded with the session? What is the preview file extension?

Thanks
      Walter

Inactive

I have noticed that 6.5 bogs down as projects get bigger. Not so much a longer timelime but when there are a lot of files in use. If possible, try making smaller projects and combine the results (if editing a movie, make a seperate project for each scene, export each scene as a single avi file, then build 1 project to assemble each of the seperate scenes into 1 movie).

Participant

and 540k of ram

No wonder! Any editing program would crash with half a megabyte of RAM!

😉

Inactive

I agree. (I missed that)!

Inactive

The minimum system resources for Premiere was listed at 128k ram, so I thought I had a cushion. This is not a big project, 10 minutes with titles, 1 cross dissolve, a fade at the end and maybe 4 cuts overall. Premeire wasn’t getting slower and slower. One minute I was fine, then I did a preview render, and boink, it would no longer stay stable. How can I remove the preview or keep it from loading?

Walter

Inactive

First, double check to make sure your not confusing k (kilobytes) with m (megabytes). If your computer really does have 540k (kilobytes) of RAM, nothing will work, even windows.

Secondly, I’m guessing that one of your files is either corrupt, or a compressed format. NEVER use JPEG, MPEG, MP3’s, or any other compressed formats. If your using an MP3, convert it to a wav. Premiere was not designed for compressed formats and often crashes when they get used. The pro series I believe addressed this issue.

Third, if you think it might be the preview renders that you made, explore your hard drive to the folder where your previews are stored, (typically the same folder as the project files) and delete them there.

Inactive

Yah, 540megs of ram. I used a JPEG file to create a black background for titles. I’ll change that to TIFF and see what happens.

Thanks,
      Walter

Inactive

If its solid black, Premiere can generate it. Click File>New Item>Black Video.

Inactive

kkmac Wrote:

If its solid black, Premiere can generate it. Click File>New Item>Black Video.

I’ll try that since using a black .tif file and deleting the preview files didn’t seem to fix the crash problem. It’s a strange kind of crash- Premiere just vanished, no warning, no nothing. On one of the crashes Premiere said it was generating an error log, but I couldn’t find the error log anywhere on my system.

Walter

Inactive

There could be a different file that is corrupt. Try starting a new project, import 5 clips and add to the timeline. Keep going until it crashes. Then you’ll have an idea which clip is the problem.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap