Premiere 6.5 dropping frames, need solution

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Premiere 6.5 dropping frames, need solution

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

My PC is an emachine, 2.0 ghz, AMD Athalon 64, 2 gigs RAM, 120 gigs of free space on HD, Radion Express 200 built in to MB. No other programs or functions loaded. Feeding through firewire from a Panasonic digital DV camera. Movie plays fine outputing to a viewing monitor, but when capturing in the standard default mode, it averages about 5 skips per 2 minutes of capture. When I use ULEAD’s Movie Factory 5, I get no dropped frames, however I need to edit this footage so I would prefer doing captures in Premiere.

Any suggestions?

Larry

Inactive

I have seen many thread go unanswered until I speak up. In most cases, someone is correcting me.

I know for a fact that Premiere was designed to run on Pentium class processors (but AMD can work). It involves the SSE 2 instruction set. If your AMD does not support the SSE 2 instruction set, your probably going to encounter issues. You didn’t specify if you have 1 hard drive or 2. This can make a big difference. If you only have 1 hard drive, that drive is working overtime to capture your video and maintain the application running. A second hard drive can make the difference. Make sure your hard drive has been well maintained (defraged). The machine sounds more than powerful enough, just check these few things!

By the way, it is possible to capture in ULEAD and edit those files in Premiere. (A last resort).

Inactive

Premiere 6 has many issues on many machines. I’d suggest upgrading or using something else (at least for the parts you’re having problems with).

Inactive

kkmac Wrote:

I have seen many thread go unanswered until I speak up. In most cases, someone is correcting me.

I know for a fact that Premiere was designed to run on Pentium class processors (but AMD can work)…

By the way, it is possible to capture in ULEAD and edit those files in Premiere. (A last resort).

Ulead capture, Premiere editing? That will work for me. Thanks.

Premiere 6 has many issues on many machines. I’d suggest upgrading or using something else (at least for the parts you’re having problems with)…

Eric, keeping value in mind, what would you suggest upgrading to? Premiere Pro? Or something else? My needs are generally simple, basic editing.

larry

Inactive

lathompson Wrote:

Eric, keeping value in mind, what would you suggest upgrading to? Premiere Pro? Or something else?

Either way

My needs are generally simple, basic editing.

If you aren’t doing anything fancy, you can use Avid FreeDV. It’s free (as the name suggests), although a bit limited, and you may need to get used to the Avid interface.

Inactive

tonsofpcs Wrote:

If you aren’t doing anything fancy, you can use Avid FreeDV. It’s free (as the name suggests), although a bit limited, and you may need to get used to the Avid interface.

The Avid sounds inviting at the price but if I’m used to the Premiere interface, assuming that Premiere Pro will be the same, I wonder if it’s going to be difficult learning to use the AvidFREE? You know when you’re used to a program, it’s sometimes impossible to get a new mindset. I’ll give it a look. Thanks Eric.

Inactive

The visual display is similar, but the actual interface is a bit different. It should be easy to adjust if you try.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap