Premiere 1.5 stalling issues

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Can anyone tell me what’s going on in Premiere 1.5 with my computer stalling when trying to make ANY edits on the timeline. I’ve used Premiere for years and have not had this problem before. Do I have my settings incorrect or what’s going on?? It usually happens when scrubbing the video or audio in the timeline or by adding music tracks and playing the timeline. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Participant

I have had the exact same issue. The first several months I used the software I had no problems. At some point, it started doing that same thing. Even after reformatting and using a different HD and adding memory, it still does it sometimes. The only solution I’ve found is to set the auto save to a couple minutes, that way if I have to restart I at least won’t lose everything. I would love a solution to this problem.

Oh and just to clarify, I don’t have the problem every time I d perform an edit but it can happen a few times a day during long edits.

Participant

If you have not tried this yet uninstall the program. Then go to the Program Files -> Adobe folder and delete the Premiere folder. This will ensure that all of your preferences are deleted. Make sure that your auto saves or any other important files are backed up first of course. Then reinstall the software. Files get currupted sometimes and programs have to get reinstalled. This is especially true of windows because of its archaic registry system that it uses. (on the mac programs usually only consist of 2 files the program and the preferences file) This will usually fix any problems with most any program that is having problems all of a sudden. Unless it is a problem with windows itself. Or the hardware.

Participant

I can’t speak for drhabes but as far as all those things go, I have reinstalled several times, deleting program folders, even reinstalled windows twice using different HDs. I have 3 HD setups, one system drive, one render drive and one 500GB RAID storage drive for the scratch disk. They are all clean and tidy. I also have 2GB of memory and my system is clean as a whistle and I still have the problem every so often. I have seriously been considering upping to PP2.0. I like the idea of importing projects from AE which is not currently possible (you have to render first). It’s alot of money but I just may have to.

Participant

Thanks everyone for all the info so quickly! I’ve uninstalled as you recommended and reinstalled on a different drive thinking that my drive was causing the crash issues but to no avail! I’m thinking of doing a new XPSP2 clean install but after reading Endeavor’s remarks I’m not sure that this would even help. How can a program like Premiere just stop working?? I went back to PP1.0 and it wouldn’t work either! It seems odd to me that it would all of a sudden have these issues after a number of years without problems. I had a deadline to meet so I installed PP1.5 on my wife’s laptop and had NO issues with editing other than I had to do it without a mouse! Yikes! O well, it’s done and I’m OK now but am perplexed about what to doin the future. I have other projects that are waiting and am wondering if moving to PP2.0 would help. Should I just punt and reinstall XP first and if that doesn’t work move to PP2?? Thanks for your input. X-D

Participant

Just thought I would throw in an update on my Premiere 1.5 stalling issue. I never could get it to work correctly or figure out which hardware was causing the crashes so I did the following:

1. My computer tech gave me a new hot swapable "C" drive that I have dedicated to just video editing. This eliminated many of the .dll interferences with multiple software programs and it now dedicates the drive to "only video!"

2. I bit the bullet on the Premiere program and upgraded to PP2.0- WOW, I really love the interface and feel that it is a much smoother way to edit video. The workflow is easier and the best news is…I don’t get the crashes any more!! I’m excited to edit without the fear of losing my efforts in editing the timeline.

3. Without any outside interruptions (i.e. Internet) the computer now works perfectly!

Thanks to all who contributed to my resolution of this very annoying issue! X-D

Participant

Man, I think I’m gonna have to ask for the upgrade for christmas. I’ve been wanting ae7 pro too since I can open an ae project in pp2 without rendering first. Anyway, I think it sucks that I may need to upgrade just so that the program works the way it’s supposed to but oh well.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap