PowerDirector7 transcoding and burning

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing PowerDirector7 transcoding and burning

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I have just downloaded the trial version and created a testDVD with 40 mins of video which plays ok on the computer but not on a DVD player.

I tried to email Support at Cyberlink but came up against a brick wall.

Any ideas please?

Inactive

Hi Phil,

Cyberlink has a support website ….

https://membership.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/index.do

There are several possible reasons that a DVD you create won’t play in a DVD Player.

The first question is… did you create a DVD-Video disc? If you used PowerDirector’s “Create Disc” function, the answer is yes. If you used PowerDirector to create a video file, and then you copied this to a DVD, the answer is no. A DVD-video title has a VIDEO_TS folder, with IFO, BUP and VOB files inside. DVD players are designed to play DVD-Video discs, although some may play video files on a DVD-ROM disc.

If you have a legal DVD-Video disc, the next question is – is it readable? If you can play the disc on your PC (using PowerDVD, or Windows Media Player), then it’s readable as far as your DVD drive is concerned. DVD players don’t always play DVD-R or DVD-RW (or +R, +RW) media… especially older players. Did you try the disc in some other DVD players?

I hope this helps.

Tom

Cyberlink

Participant

Cyberlink said:
      The first question is… did you create a DVD-Video disc? … DVD players are designed to play DVD-Video discs, although some may play video files on a DVD-ROM disc.
      If you have a legal DVD-Video disc, the next question is – is it readable?

I think that DVD-Video and DVD-ROMs are just fancy names for the standard DVD R discs. When researching disc formats, I come across DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DL (dual layer) DVD, Double-side, and DVD-RAM. These are the formats that I see available to buy (there are no “DVD-Video” or “DVD-ROM” discs). If someone else knows better, they can correct.

Inactive

All DVDs are DVD-ROMs (logically). DVD-Video is an application format. Logical formats are independent of physical formats. The DVD movies that you buy are DVD-Videos. The DVD-Video specification is built on top of the DVD-ROM specification. Note the DVD-Video logo on movies that you buy.

DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW and DVD+RW are physical media types (recordable and erasable). They are designed to emulate a pre-recorded DVD. But due to the different physical properties, they are never quite as readable as a pre-recorded DVD.

The movie that you buy on DVD are not “burned”, they are pre-recorded. The information is encoded on a glass master, and the glass master is used to make nickel stampers. The stampers are mounted in injection molding machines, and the polycarbonate is injected into the mold, pressing up against the stamper on one side of the mold. The track of pits is molded into the polycarbonate. The clear plastic substrate is metalized with a silver alloy (for dual layer DVDs… which most movies are), and then bonded to another substrate.

Recordable DVDs (-R, +R) are different. They are molded using a stamper with a “pre-groove”… a continuous groove with a wobble. The clear substrate is coated with a dye layer which is sensitive to the recording laser. Then the substrate is metalized to make it reflective. Instead of a track of pits (bumps, actually), a recorded DVD has a track of burned marks that emulate pits. Instead of changing the amount of reflected light of the laser that is reading the disc by diffraction (pre-recorded), a recordable disc changes the amount of reflected light through absorption.

Participant

So you’re saying that thecommercial DVD movies and video discs are different than the kind that you burn with a DVDwriter or a real-time consumer DVD recorder. I guess the universal DVD-Video discs are recorded with equipment that is too sophisticated for the unpaid.

Inactive

Yes, commercial DVD movies are physically different than recordable or erasable DVDs that you burn with a DVD-R/RW drive or set-top recorder. If you want “replicated” DVDs, there are many independent CD/DVD manufacturers who can do this, but the minimum order cost is several thousand dollars (for a minimum quantity of 1000 discs).

Fortunately, most DVD players are able to read DVD-R or DVD+R media, so it usually isn’t an issue.

Inactive

Yes, I created a DVD disc but it seems it was probably burnt on a different system in error as I now have perfectly good DVD discs burnt from the same file! Duh! Me learner!

Thanks for the advice though.

Somewhere else I pointed out that the rendering for this 40 min video took only 4 mins using 17-920 processor. Much better than I ever hoped for after putting up with P4 taking over 3 hrs before and using Pinnacle Studio 9.4.

Since downloading the trial software for PD7 and my failed burning event I have been experimenting with PiP and titles etc and all is going well.

Question – How to make a PiP flip over and over like on that Supermen movie where the three crims were sent packing? Any ideas? I got an answer from Cyberlink that you add two PiP tracks at once but they didn’t say any more than that. I tried that and naturally got two PiP tracks at that point in the video. They don’t flip over though – of course!

Inactive

Why is there no separate section devoted to Cyberlink?

Inactive

Good question! (RE: Cyberlink section in these forums)

I’m not sure what you mean by “flip over”. Do you want to have the video rotate horizontally or vertically? Or do you want the layers to flip (one video is “on top”, then the other is “on top”)?

Tom

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap