Portable lighting, without the generator? Any ideas?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Miscellaneous Techniques Portable lighting, without the generator? Any ideas?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

So here is the situation:

I am shooting a short piece, and much of it takes place out in the woods…..at night. (ok go ahead laugh………ok, feel better) now then…

I am curious how I should light it. Generators are out of the question. Any tricks?

Participant

Why is a generator out of the question? You could always use a car battery system, I have heard of them.

If you are shooting for a night scene, without campfires or other sources of light other than the moon you can try using Magic Bullet and their "night" effect.

My sugestion:

buy this generator, it runs at about 65 decibels, which is about as loud as someone talking to you outside.:

http://www.duropower.com/item.asp?PID=57&FID=1&level=0

or if you need more wattage buy another of this line:

http://www.duropower.com/

and buy whatever you need to convert the power for your lights, although this generator does have 110 AC output. And also buy around 100 – 200ft of extention cords, so the sound from the generator will dissipate before reaching you audio equipment. Done.

I of course would suggest that if you have the ability to you should redub then audio anyway, but if you don’t want to do that the generator should work.

Just out of curiosity what kind of lighting system do you use. I am about to buy some lights myself…

Participant

Thanks for the input!

As far as the generator goes…..some of our locations are behind closed gates. The National Fores Service closes gates to prevent automobile access to the high country between early october and late april. Public access is not restricted during these times, just vehicle access. To make a long story short….there is a cabin about that is between 3 and 4 miles behind a gate…and about 2 miles of that is a climb in elevation from about 500 feet to roughly 3500 feet!….oh yeah! Lucky us, everyone in the crew (about 6 people) is up for the hike during the months when the gates are locked, and the Forest Service has given us permission.

At this time I dont have a lighting rig….this is my first "real" project. Most of my artistic/creative experience is in the realm of music and photography. This project is a change for me. Its an experiment as well. I have always wanted to make movies that I would like to watch. Now is my chance….. Anyway, I am rambling.

Participant

probably too late for my input but christmas lights. wrap them around and get only the white ones. plus they don’t give off heat.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best mirrorless cameras and DSLRs for video — 2021

These are the best mirrorless cameras and DSLRs on the market today, organized by use case. All are worthy of your hard-earned dollar.
homicide-bootstrap