podcasts for CURRENT TV

• This topic has 3 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 14 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hey there,

I’m looking to make a podcast series I hope to submit to CURRENT TV, and I’m starting completly fresh.
      Of course I’d love to buy a nice, four grand camera that does it all, but I have no choice but to start small and work my way up.

I’m browsing for a nice, HD consumer cam that is around the 1000 dollar mark, and a nice shotgun mic to attach to it.

Does anybody have any ideas on what I should use? I want to make the best movies possible for the money, and sound is a huge importance.

Inactive

RyanCook,

Glad to hear about your participation with Current TV. I think they are great.

I actually shot a Pod that’s being broadcast right now: http://www.current.tv/pods/art/PD05485

As for your equipment, I have a few suggestions.

First, many Current pods are made using high-quality XLR audio. Having XLR audio is a huge plus, because it gives you more microphone options and more overall reliability. It is not a mandatory option, but a great choice.

Second, you will be hard pressed to find an HDV cam with XLR audio for around a grand. It may mean smartly shopping for a used HDV camcorder. I say "smartly" because these items are a hot item for online fraud, and it’ll take some digging to find a good deal. Also think about an XLR adapter box like the one Beachtek makes. I have their DXA-4.

Last, I think shotgun mics are great, and I use them all the time. Mounting them on-camera means you can move around freely. Using a boom or hand-held grip makes for the best sound, but it generally attracts more attention to your production.

-andrew @ videomaker

Ryan,

You certainly can create some beautiful looking images with a thousand dollar camera. However, to do just that you’ll want to consider what environments you’ll be shooting in and how to optimize the lighting in those environments to get "broadcast-quality" looking video. If you shooting interiors, you’ll want a decent light kit (you can even get good results going guerilla style, read some of these links to see if it might work for you: http://www.videomaker.com/article/10917/ and http://www.videomaker.com/article/10428/). In the field reflectors can make a huge difference, too.

Humble beginnings is a great way to start a career (or at least a very exciting hobby) in video production with very little risk. Smart idea. But don’t forget the value of professional tools. They can save you tons of time! I’d suggest (I don’t know what your experience level is) you "job shadow" some production pros so you can see what pro tools are like and which are worth investing in for you venture and which aren’t worth it right now. There are plenty of shortcuts out there, but knowing which ones to take is key in getting a professional looking result at a very low cost.

Mark

Inactive

Thanks for the help everybody, I’m thinking about knuckling down and picking up a Panasonic AG-DVC30. I understand that HD is where the future is at, but I can’t deny the price and ease of use on a good panasonic.

Yay or nay?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Canon lenses — 2021

There are a number of Canon lenses on the market for both their DSLR and mirrorless cameras, these are our picks for EF, EF-S and RF mounts.
homicide-bootstrap