please help the ROOKIE

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

i want to make short videos,,,i have movie maker on vista premium right now ,,,but im willing to change,,, I THINK ? i want a low cost hi def camara (VIXIA TYPE) or just standard def ??,,,ive been reading alot about formats and there seems to be alot of decent with movie maker and the importing ,,,TRUE OR FALSE ?,,,which is what i have,, WMM!!im not trying to win an oscar just an intelligent video,that is clean and crisp,,,would someone please sugest if i should stick with movie maker ,,or go to a different program ,,,and what would be a low cost hi def camara(BRAND & MODEL ),,,or standard def,, thanks greatly ,,PHIL the rookie ,,,,starting at ground ZERO

Participant

I would go with SD. You are just learning the basics, so trying to deal with the fact that there aren’t really any standards in HD will slow you down and you won’t be focused on how to make a video. Plus, If you stick with SD, you are most likely going to be able to edit in any editing program. By now, any computer and all software can handle DV.

Now, Movie Maker is trash. But if you don’t have the money for new software, it will have to do. If you do have money for software and want to stick with a PC, then I suggest Adobe Premiere or Sony Vegas. If you want to start using a Mac, then Final Cut is definitely the way to go.

Good luck.

Participant

Actually, I have seen some of my daughter’s friends videos which were made with Windows Movie Maker that are outstanding. It has come very far in the past couple of years.

However, for under $100 there are entry level offerings from Sony & Adobe that allow you more creative freedom and tools so you can generate a better product.

I heartily suggest Sony Vegas Movie Studio – If you get the Platinum Edition (still under $100) you can even edit High Def! The two major differences (there are many others but these two are biggies for me) between the entry level version and the full Pro version are 1) the Movie Studio version limits you to four video tracks and four audio tracks – I have some projects that have required scores of video tracks (actually one is over 100); and 2) the lack of scripting support, which allows you to write or purchase scripts which can seriously reduce the time it takes for commonly used tasks (match output aspect, reduce interlace flicker, etc…).

Inactive

I just bought a Canon Vixia HV30 on ebay and absolutely love it. I got a great deal on one that still had nearly everything still in the plastic.

As far as software, the first video I ever did NLE was on MovieMaker. But I would definitely look at other options as it is very limited.

Pinnacle Studio 12 Ultimate if reasonable and I have had very good luck with it. Very intuitive and a great format to learn on. I really like it and haven’t had the problems that many on here say they have heard of. However, their customer service is deplorable.

With that being said, I recently purchased Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum, and while not as intuitive as Pinnacle, it offers much more functionality and does render MUCH faster. I also really like having the additional video tracks. Pinnacle can have 2-3 video tracks, but the 3rd can’t use the audio as it is just an overlay track.

IMHO, if you have a little time, get the Sony Vegas Movie Studio. It is a very nice program. I will eventually upgrade to pro for the unlimited video tracks and other functions, but after I am more comfortable with the program I just got.

Inactive

I HAVE READ ALL OF THE REPLIES TO MY TOPIC ,,,THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH ,,IVE BEEN DOING MY HOMEWORK ,,,IM GOING TO GO GET ” THE VEGAS PLATNUM” ,,THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD FOR BEGGINERS FROM WHAT I CAN GLEEM,,,, OK,,,,NOW I THINK AS IN SUGG. BY ROBG. I WANT TO GO WITH A STANDARD DEF . CAMARA WHAT IS A GOOD QUALITY ST. DEF. CAMARA??? (MAKE & MODEL ),,,,IWAS LOOKING AT THE SONY DCR-47 HANDYCAM ,,,,OR SHOULD I GO AHEAD AND GET A LOW COST HI DEF ,,,,,LET ME SAY THIS I MAKE TEETH FOR A LIVING ,,,I HAVE A PRETTY GOOD FOR EYE DETAIL,,,, I KNOW I REALLY WANT HI DEF ,,,,BUT ,,,I JUST DONT WANT TO GET OVER MY HEAD WITH COMPUTER LITERACY ,,,,IM IN NO HURRY,, AFTER REVIEWING MOVIE MAKER AND WHAT IT HAS,, I WANT TO MAKE SURE MY CAMARA FORMAT IS FRIENDLY WITH THE EDITING PROGRAM ,,,,LIKE I SAY IM GOING WITH VEGAS,,,,,, STANDARD DEF CAM.,,,,,,OR,, WHAT,, DH CAM ?,,,,,,,,,,,THANK YOU ALL FOR TAKING THE TIME ,WITH SOMEONE STRARTING OUT . A BIT OVERWHELMING ,,,,PHIL

Inactive

gotcha ,,,it didnt look that way when is typing in the message box,,,i saw it after i posted ,,,sorry

Participant

something to look into to…

many of the editing software programs available (quite a few good ones for a beginner for under $100) offer free 15 or 30 daytrial copies to allow you to work with them before you buy. You can download and save these, not installing them until you are ready to work with them.

Inactive

I’dstart shooting witha used high-def cam…(here we go again)…something like the Canon HV20/30 for around $400 and a good used stabilizer/tripod. This way, in a mere 5 years when HDbecomes the standard, you won’t be kicking yourself and looking like a silly loser for shooting in lame and dead SD all those years.

Participant

I dunno – Will HD be the standard or will we be jumping to 2k (or higher)? I know my parents will never own a BD player (they don’t even use the DVD player they have owned for years – still on VHS). I know many folks think that medium will become irrellevant and then it’s anything goes.

Also, I shoot in HD now even if final output will be SD (either NTSC widescreen which is letterboxed 16:9 in a 720 X 480 package or I pan/crop myself). This way, I can go back in the furture and not have to kick myself (unless everyone is shooting 4k by then).

Participant

I read on Wikipedia or something that the standard will go to 2K in 2015. I am just guessing that 4K won’t be too many years behind that.

I would go HD. It is a little more effort up front, but in the long run you will be happier if this is something you intend to stick with.

Dude you’re just starting out. Stick with the basics while you’re learning. Standard MiniDV is cheap available and easy to edit. By the time you get a handle on basic shooting and editing, all of the HD stuff will be just like SD, cheap and available. It’s going to be a while before you’re proficient enough to make a living at this. Spend your money wisely and take small steps during the learning process. Besides, you will be able to upload SD video online for a good while to come. When you’ve got a grip on this, then go hog wild.

Inactive

I agree on the Mini DVC tape. I have actually put together TV commercials with a Sony TRV33. However, I just purchased a Canon HV30 HD and absolutely love it. It is Mini DVC tape as well. I don’t like the hard drive units. Noise from the drive. I am not sold on the cards yet either.

As far as the software, I believe you have chosen wisely with the Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum. I am really latching onto it and love it so far.

Participant

I have mixed opinions about this too. Part of me wants to recommend HD; but the biggest problem you’ll run into there is having a computer that may not support whatever software you’re using. SD may be on its way out; but you’d be hard pressed to find a computer that couldn’t handle it. I’ve worked with Sony Vegas before. It’s a solid program. However, if you’re just starting off, there are programs out therethat are much more user friendly. I’m still editing with Pinnacle Studio – $130.00, and available at Best Buy. It has a very simple looking interface, great for beginners – and if you get the Ultimate Version 12, it can do most of what high end programs can including edit HD content.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap