Please help a newbie with AVCHD

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Let me preface this with the fact that I am not trying to be Spielberg, just wanting to transfer my clips and do basic editing. I have a Canon Vixia HF-100. I have a running windows vista, intel duo 1.8 ghz with 3 gigs of RAM. The pixela software that came with the computer is not very intuitive. Windows movie maker doesn’t seem to be compatible. When I “import” and try to play back clips the playback is delayed/ choppy. I tried a free trial of adobe premier 7 with similar results. Is 1.8 ghz too slow even though I am not going to be doing major editing ? Would Vegas be that different ?

Participant

I use Vegas Pro 8 and on my (no longer in my arsenal) Core 2 Duo laptop it edited the MTS files fine. However, since I now edit on my older 2.53 GHz Pentium 4 with USB 2.0 external drives, I cannot use the MTS files with much success (way too compressed). I do however have a workaround – newBlueFX in combination with VASST has a program which will convert the MTS files to lightly compressed M2T files which I can edit without problems. Might be an option for you.

Inactive

How much for this program and is it worth it for a nonprofessional ? Am I going to be completely confused using this ?

Participant

Before my PC upgrade I used a program called VoltaicHD from Shedworx. It did a pretty good job of decompressing the .mts files so that other programs could edit them. They have a free download trial limited to 50mb, not much but you can see if it works before you buy it for $34.99. Make sure you have disc space for the new files.

As far as editing softwarego, it’s a good idea to make sure you at least meet the minumum specs they have for HD editing to get much use out of it.

Participant

How much for this program and is it worth it for a nonprofessional ? Am I going to be completely confused using this ?

It sells for $49 and is downloadable.

Page is here: http://tinyurl.com/cflmvt

Is it worth it? Only if you want to edit you’re AVCHD video without spending thousands on a cutting edge machine.

I find it simple to use (as I do Vegas).

Participant

I think you’ll like how Vegas handles HD…It is a very good program at very low cost…

I think it is worth it to use an intermidiary codec like the one birdcat mentioned….

I use Cineform, but upshift seems like a good program and VASST is a very reliable source.

Since you have a 1.8Ghz processor, you still may experience some lag on playback while you’re editing….but no matter how bad the lag looks while you edit, the exported file will be fine….even if IT too doesn’t playback smoothly in a media player.

Generally speaking, HD editing formats don’t playback that smoothly….It is the final HD deliverable formats that computer can handle more efficiently.(it’s just not always the bestidea to edit them….h.264, flash, Mp4, WMV)

Inactive

AVCHD(m2ts) video is not compatible with windows movie maker. so, if you want to import your video to windows movie maker, you need to change the format first. you can go to some free website like http://www.vixy.com, or http://www.zamzar.com to change the format. or find a free software like handbrake(forget its url, just goole it)or a shareware like iskysoft video converter.( http://www.hd-dvd-ripper.net/video-converter.html#139)

ps, havn’t use adobe premier 7 yet.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best digital storage for video editors — 2021

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
homicide-bootstrap