Player Compatability

• This topic has 18 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 14 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hi guys,

i am new to all this and have just burnt some test footage onto disc from Encore, the original footage editied in Premier.

Now, i play DVD’s on my PS2 or PC, both of which will play the DVD i created inEncore, but when i leant it to my mate he said he just gets a folder displayed on the screen which he has to click to start the DVD playing.

I am sorry, i dont know what player he is using, i can tell you that i am using DVD -R discs made by Maxel and burnt using Enocre at the fastest speed it allows (4x). My writers are 16x DVD -/+R DL, amde by LITE-ON.

PLease can someone help me with this problem, i cant seem to find any settings in Ecnore which allow to adjust how it encodes to make it more or less compatible. It does say when burning that it is encoding for Set top players, Pc Software players etc.

Thanks in advance,

Jay

Inactive

It sounds to me like its a configuration issue with the computer. Especially with XP. The drive in the computer can be set to auto-play, browse, or do nothing. In this case, a window opens which asks which function to perform. A playstation won’t have this feature. There’s nothing wrong with the DVD itself.

Inactive

Ey up mate,

cheers for the reply, but unfortunately you totally lost me.

The DVd’s i create play fine in both my PC and Playstation, but WONT play in my mates DVD player.

I have now tried the disc in 7 different players, of which only 3 played it fine and one other played with problems.

So whats going off?

Cheers,

Jay

Inactive

I got the impression that it was played on computer DVD players. I’ve never heard of a DVD disc not playing right away in a stand alone player. Was the "first play" set properly in Encore? Was the disc burned in Encore or another DVD burning app?

Inactive

[quote="mrwinkey"]The DVd’s i create play fine in both my PC and Playstation, but WONT play in my mates DVD player.

I have now tried the disc in 7 different players, of which only 3 played it fine and one other played with problems.[/quote]

"mrwinkey"

Read through this post and you’ll see what issues are out there.

http://www.videomaker.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1970

As far as a PS2 playing a DVD, that goofy thing will play a piece of toast if you stuck it in there. Unfortunally set-top players have their own issues.

If you want more realiable disks, burn slow and use DVD-R disks.

RAM

Inactive

Ey up mate,

cheers for the Reply and the Link, I will have a read now.

I am Currently using -R discs, and have burned one today using Encore which allowed me to Burn at a Speed of 1X.

Now i took this with me today and tried this in another friends Player and it came up with an error that siad "Wrong Disc", then we put it in his Pc to play in Power DVD, but the PC said the Disc was Blank.

The Disc plays fine on my PC and on the PS2.

Driving me nuts now.

I phoned a Lab today to get a price on Pressing DVD’s and he said that you can still get compatability problems even with Pressed ones, although he said they are better than ones Burned with a PC.

HOw the Hell do the Pro’s do it?

Cheers again,

Jay

Inactive

Check out the DVD Media, Player & Writer sections under ‘Lists’ at http://www.videohelp.com for compatibility issues. Also check out the Tools section and search for Encore.

Inactive

Ey up mate,

cheers for the reply, i have had a look at the link you gave me and have found some interesting stuff. I dont have time right now to look properly, but will do in a few hours.

I got some dissapointing news today, i asked a guy that creates DVD’s professionally, and has no compatability issues at all, how he creates DVD’s. The bad news is, he does it the same way i do. Well, not quite.

He Authers a DVD (not sure in what programme), and then uses Nero to Burn it with.

I have been Authering a DVD in Encore, and then Burning it directly from Encore. I would have assumed that Encore would have been better at this than Nero, as this is the Sole purpose of Encore.

Could it be my Writers, i am using LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-160P6S, does anyone know if this is a decent burner?

Cheers,

Jay

Inactive

I’m taking a big stab in the dark here but where are you? The reason I ask is that I’m guessing (based on some of the terms you use) that your not in America. This leads me to think that the compatibility issue may be NTSC or PAL. Your creating 1 while the players your testing them in only play the other. If your burning straight from Encore, there should NOT be any problem playing the disc. I can only play NTSC on my home player and PAL DVDs display error when played. Double check this to make sure your creating the proper type of disc for your region.

Inactive

kkmac makes a good point. Another stab in the dark is that there are DVD region codes as well. These codes set within the burners to a number depending on where you are on the planet.

For example: If I would bring my PC over to where ever you live (lets say Australia) and I burn a DVD which is set to 1 (I think) which represents the USA, my disk would not play on the DVD players being sold in Australia because they are set and will only play DVDs with a region code of lets say 2. (Im not sure what the actual number is.) I believe this is done to prevent international piracy. Like I said, Im not sure what numbers are linked to where but I would take a look at that.

Look in both the burner properties and in Encore. If its set to a certain number I would double check that number so that it corresponds to your corner of the world. Be careful with the burners because some will only let you change this number 3 times and thats it.

RAM

Inactive

I may be mistaken but I thought writable DVDs do not support copyguards or region coding. While you are correct in the region capabilities of a particular burner, I didn’t think that the burners region setting impacted the discs it makes. Encore provides options for both copyguards and region settings, but I thought they only had an affect if the project is replicated to a stamped disc. If I’m wrong, someone PLEASE set me straight!

Inactive

kkmac,

You could be right!

All I know that on some of the DVD authoring programs, you can select a region code or you can leave it at its default which Im assuming means that you can play your final disk anywhere.

You also can select the region codes on PC DVD drives.

Also, set-top DVD players are preset to a region code based on where they are sold in the world.

All I was pointing out was another possibility of maybe why this poster was having problems. You see he said that he could play his DVD on his PC which would make sense because he burnt it on the same drive so the setting is obviously the same. He also said that HE can play it on his PS2 which doesnt deal with regional settings. When he gave it to his friend to play on his player it wouldnt work. Do you see where Im coming from?

RAM

Inactive

I had a bootleg of King Kong 2 months ago that wouldn’t play in my set top. It did play in my pc, which did not make the disc. It was PAL and not NTSC. This is why my set top wouldn’t play it. I never tried it in a PS2.

I made a post in another forum asking about region coding for burnable discs. No reply as of yet. I know Encore supports copyguards but burnable discs do not. If a region code is supported, what determines it, Encore or the drives setting? I am leaning in the direction that burnable discs are region free since the bootleg I had was burnt. BUT, it has not been ruled out.

Inactive

Good question!

I know in Uleads DVD Workshop, there was a place where you can pick a number from a dropdown box that referenced what region code you wanted. I have never changed it of tried it for obvious reasons since everything is being played around here in the USA. That would be where you set the code I guess. Whether it works or not got me!

As far as the players go it must look for this code (or flag) when you first put a disk in or something. If the number is different than the number the player is setup to play, the player probably just displays a disk error message I’m assuming.

Like I mentioned before, you might be correct on home burned disks. This region code thing was really set up for the published motion picture and commercial DVDs. If you look on the back way in the corner of the DVD case in Best Buy, you will see the number there. I think the USA is1.

I know when I installed my DVD drive in my PC I remember reading about that region number and that you can only change it 3 times. I suppose this was set up this way so that these drives can be shipped all over the world. It would be interesting to get a DVD from like France or England and see if it would play on my PC drive which is set for the US.

RAM

Inactive

Ey up guys,

cheers for the responces, sounds like you have been having a right good old chat. Lol.

Right then, first things first, I am in the UK, which is PAL and Region 2.

My burners were actually set to No Region selected, which i actually (honest) set to region 2 last night, so i dont know if this may have an effect. I have actually given my mate a disc that burned in Encore, but at 1X, and it sort of works. The menu does not auto boot, instead he gets a folder which he has to click, he cant use scene select, so can only play the whole thing.

So this is better than not playing at all, but still not good.

NOw as for settings in Encore, i have the Project settings set to PAL, but do not know if there are any Region settings. If there are, can someone tell me where to find them?

I would ASSUME that if the Project setting are set to PAL, then the discs would be burned in Region 2, but then i may be totally wrong, as i dont know which regions use PAL etc.

This is driving me nuts, i asked someone who makes films and he said he burns with Nero and they all work on everything. I am going to speak to him again Tomorrow (probably while you are reading this) and ask him what Burner and Discs he uses.

Cheers,

Jay

Inactive

I don’t seem to find anywhere what version of Encore you’re using but if you’re using 1.5, there is an update out there. You might want to do that if you haven’s yet.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=2663

You know you did already mention that you tried playing these in 7 different players of which 3 of them worked. I’m almost thinking that it’s nothing that you’re doing wrong but rather the players around you. If it was something that was screwing up from Encore, you would think that it would never play. You said that three of those players played the disk fine. That tells me that you are surrounded by older or problematic set top players.

RAM

Inactive

Ey up mate,

I am not sure what version of Encore i am using, where does it say? Lol.

I have read so much on Compatability problems, and most people say to burn Slow, which i have done, Use -R discs, which i have done, but then they say that Older players are just set to play Pressed discs and wont play burned ones.

I would accept this, if it was not for the Video guy who burns with Nero and has no problems at all, the discs play on my mates player which wont play mine.

So this is why i think i am doing something wrong.

At the end of the day, Encore’s sole purpose for being is to Author DVD’s, so i would have thought it would do this perfectly.

I have looked at the Transcode settings in Encore, and dont fully undertsnd them, but have them set to Auto at the moment, but all they seem to be for is the Quality, and not the compatability or anything to do with that.

Just out of interest, do you have any compatability problems and what discs and Burner do you use.

Cheers,

Jay

Inactive

"mrwinkey quote " Just out of interest, do you have any compatability problems and what discs and Burner do you use."

Well this will make your day.

Yes I did have problems a long time ago! I thinking a lot of us have at one point in time until we dialed our equipment and software in. For the longest time I was having trouble just like you. I burned disks and they would play on my PC but never on my set-tops. I looked all over the internet trying to find out what I was doing wrong. All of a sudden I came across this one website that explained various issues and then that one pointed me to another site that had a list of problem players sorted by make and model number. Sure enough, mine was on this list. I quickly ran over to my neighbors house to see if my disk would play on his player. Sure enough! 😯 It played perfectly. I spent a week screwing with this when all the while it was my older DVD player. Needless to say that player is now in a million pieces in some junkyard somewhere. X-D I went out and got a new one and I was good to go.

Then about 4 years ago, I did a project for a football team, which required me to burn about 50 DVD’s. I had a series of complaints about these disks not playing. What I ended up doing was I switched to Phillips -R’s and burned at 2X and exchanged them with the people that had problems. They all played for them. They must have had fussy players too. Since then I have done 3 years worth of projects and I have never had a recall again.

OK now the short story. 8) I ended up fooling around with different combinations until I finally had the hot set up. Don’t laugh but I always author my DVD’s to a folder on my HD and then I burn with Nero too. I never burn DVD’s from any of the authoring apps. I have also found that Memorex products gave me problems so I just don’t buy them anymore. I use Verbatims and Phillips -R’s. I just have a generic DVD burner. Its so generic I dont even know what brand it is. I would keep experimenting and hopefully you’ll get the right combination together. I know I did.

RAM

Inactive

Ey up mate,

cheers for the reply, it is nice to know that i am not the only one, although it would have been better if you had given me the answer to my problems. Lol.

I have read a lot of about the Verbatim discs, so i think my next step will be to just get some to try out.

I have spoken with everyone i can to try and get help on this one, but everyone says i am doing everything right.

I understand your point about certain players being fussy / problematic, but if someone complains about a disc not working, i can hardly tell them to go out and buy another player. The DVD’s that a video guy friend of mine burns work fine in my mates dodgy player, so this makes me think it is me and not the player.

This really is driving me nuts now. I am sorry for bugging you with this problem, as i feel we are now going round in circles.

Thanks for all your help,

Jay

• Viewing 18 reply threads

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap