Playback Quality Comparisons

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I will be starting a small video editing and transfer to DVD business soon and so will need to capture many customer MiniDv tapes to my computer. I also want to purchase a prosumer camcorder for around $3000. I would rather not use that expensive camcorder to tranfer the MiniDv tapes for my business so here is my question. If I purchase a much less expensive $300-$400 MiniDV camcorder in addition to the prosumer model to use for transferring all of the customer MiniDv tapes will the quality of the videos captured be less than they would be if captured from the prosumer model? I can’t afford a MiniDv deck at this time so the cheaper camcorder would serve as one. I don’t want to compromise the quality of the video that I capture.

Inactive

don’t worry. the footage recorded will be the same on any MiniDV camcorder. it works.

Participant

Thanks for your reply.
      So what you’re saying is that I will get the same identical high quality video capture to my computer whether I use the cheap MiniDV 1 CCD camcorder or the 3 CCD prosumer camcorder even if the MiniDV tape was originally recorded on the 3 CCD prosumer camcorder.
      Sorry for the restatement but I just want to know for sure. I would have suspected that the cheaper camcorder would have lower quality play heads that would produce lower quality playback than the prosumer camcorder when comparing with the same tape of a high quality video recording.

Inactive

nope. it’s all the same.

Participant

Surfer, that’s exactly what I do and there is no difference. I don’t want to wear out the transports on my GL2s and so I use my wife’s little panasonic to capture (sshhhh). Work’s great!

Participant

I do the exact same thing to keep the wear off of my GL2 and XL1, it works great.. I bought a jvc minidv cam off of ebay for $65 bucks.. The footage captured from it looks just as good as when captured from the XL1. Crazy huh…..

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap