playback on TV problems with edges cutting off

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing playback on TV problems with edges cutting off

• This topic has 5 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 14 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I burned my very first DVD and it looked perfect to me on my computer. But once I played it on my TV/DVD player, the edges were cut off. Around a good inch or so were actually cut off from both sides of the screen. I dont know if it is my TV or if it was a setting I picked during editing or something like that. Anyone know what is going on or how to fix?

Thanks

Inactive

This is normal. Your PC screen is showing the entire picture from edge to edge. TV’s have a "safe zone" that compensates for different types of tube dislays. This is called "Overscan" and Underscan". When shooting, you need to be aware that the very edge of the viewfinder’s image may be cut off. When editing, keep this in mind when doing graphics.

Inactive

What about menus? I have to set the menu to be a certain size, so does that mean with different TVs sizes, there will be a different amount of the menu showing?

Inactive

My man "KBVP" is absolutly correct regarding the TVs and viewing areas. Each TV is different. The size of the picture can vary somewhat by either the tube or maybe the frame around the tube.

To prevent this most of the nicer NLE’s and DVD authoring apps provide a graphical reference overlay so that the editor knows where the safe zones are. For instance, I use Adobe Premiere Pro and that app actually has two zones. One is called the "ACTION SAFE ZONE" and the other is called the "TITLE SAFE ZONE". The action zone tells me pretty much that anything within that box will show up on the TV. The title zone shows me where I have to keep my titles, lower thirds and menus positioned so that they don’t get cut off on ANY TV. That’s how it all goes down. Check to see if your apps have a feature like this. I live by these guidlines.

RAM

Inactive

I was unaware of these "safe areas." I am actually using Premiere Pro and Encore to do all my editing and authoring. I will adjust everything to the safe areas. So there is no way of setting an option like "always fit to screen"?

As a future reference, is there any way I can change the size of my video so everything would fit into the action safe zone? When I recorded my event, I had my cam zoomed all the way out and it just fit everyone on stage and now with the safe action zone, the people on the edges are cut off. Is there anything I can do about that?

Also, why is the action zone a different size then the title zone? If everything will fit in the action zone, why wouldn’t my menus fit in the action zone too?

Inactive

bai Wrote:

As a future reference, is there any way I can change the size of my video so everything would fit into the action safe zone?

Also, why is the action zone a different size then the title zone? If everything will fit in the action zone, why wouldn’t my menus fit in the action zone too?

To answer your first question not really. You just need to keep in mind that video images along the outside edges might not fit on a TV so you need to allow extra room.

The second question is simple. The video images located near the action zone boarders I would consider useless fill sort-of-speak. In other words it fills the space along the edges but don’t count on every TV showing the same amount of video space around the edges of you production. The title safe zone guarantees that it will be seen on EVERY TV. I guess to address your concern on seeing everything on a TV you would want what ever you wanted to show up inside that title safe zone. Some cameras have guides built in their viewfinders which kind of helps.

RAM

• Viewing 5 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap