Playback Horizontal Lines

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Ok ive searched a lot online for ways to fix a playback issue, like horizontal lines when playing back….Ive read that its someting on the heads…but there hasnt been a definite soultion to this problem…the choices that everyone has is to get it repaired, but i also read that it costs like even more than the camcorder itself to get it fixed…..or the seocnd option is to just get another camcorder……i dont think this could be possible….what can a trained person do that we normal people cant do in order to fix this playback issue…i bet we could fix it…just carefully open up the camcorder and slign the heads to however they are supposed to be…ive opened my camcorder many times and have fixed it zoom function and its reset problem and im only 17…with no clue to what is inside a camcorder…we just need to be really carefull and see how eveything works…i just want to know what those trained people do in order to fix the playback issue…is it like a secret so that they can have a job or something…..is anyone here know how to fix this…

Participant

what? I’m sorry, I don’t mean to be offensive, but you’ve got to at least attempt to type with proper grammar and puctuation. Between this and your last post, I don’t even understand what you’re asking.

Participant

i want to know how to fix the issue when playing back miniDV tape and horizontal lines appear….the only options ive read is to get a new camcorder or get it repaired but i read that it costs a lot of money to repair this particular problem….i sareched in google and many people have had this problem…..the problem is that the heads might be not aligned properly…i think we normal people could fix this issue..

Participant

Are they black horizontal lines that appear when something moves? If so, that’s caused by watching interlaced video on a computer screen.

Ideally you want to have an external broadcast monitor or TV connected to your computer. Your editing program will send video to it so that you can see exactly what your image looks like. You are not supposed to rely on what your computer screen shows you because computer screens do not accurately reproduce the video image.

Participant

NO….havent you heard of this problem…its lines on the video that appear on a miniDV camcorder when supposely the heads are like dirty but people say its more than that….that the heads must get realigned…

Participant

but still THANKS for caring…

Participant

I’ve never heard of head’s needing to be realigned. I’m sure they can get out of line if you don’t take care of your camera though…

Participant

but have you heard of the poblem of like horizontal lines appearing when you put a camcorder into playback mode and try to watch the footage you shot????

Yes, RR, what you are referring to IS a fact, and can be and IS caused by one or both, even a third element – alignment, dirty/clogged heads AND worn heads. The tape travel path, how the heads are aligned and their wear and/or accumulation of debris all contribute to either the results you note, or to the possibility that your recorded tape will ONLY play on that deck or camcorder.

Why, because due to the slight misalignment, tapehead path wear, clogging, etc. the tape is not recorded according to original specs and settings. Slightly different recording levels, qualities or paths on the tape’s magnetic particles…a host of variances, can make that tape ONLY playable from the unit from which it was recorded. Attempting to play it on other units will or can result not only in faulty tape playback, signal and impossible digitizing or re-recording, but can actually further damage the tape to the point that nothing can resurrect its content.

However, just like the joke where a guy takes something in to be repaired and the repair person hits, thumps or bangs it, gets it working, then charges $500 for the service. The customer, having witnessed the apparently simply process, complains that all that was done was a thump or bang. “Yeah,” the repair person replies, “but you paid me for knowing where to do it.”

You DO NOT want to go into such a complex unit as a camcorder with its tape rollers, drums, pinch-rollers, carrier system misalignment and attempt to “have at it” with a set of jewelers tools from WalMart, canned air, or even a wet/dry head cleaner. There are too many things that a person who has no training or experience, and some of the equipment necessary for proper alignment and adjustments, tension spring replacements, etc. can make worse, causing irreparable damage.

Some of these people might overcharge, take advantage or even NOT know what they’re doing, but the right places, with the right people, with the right tools, training and reputations, who represent the major camera manufacturers, will do it cheaper in the long run, lasting for a longer period of time, and without (hopefully) making the problem, or something else, worse in the process. “Normal” people shouldn’t try fixing cameras and related equipment, nor should they attempt to diffuse bombs.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best After Effects and motion graphics template sites – 2021

You have the tools needed to create stunning motion graphics, but do you have the time? If not, using motion graphics templates can be a great way to add polish to a production without blowing your deadline.
homicide-bootstrap