Placing Powerpoint into Training Video – HELP!

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Yea, I jumped into this head first so this is what I get.

I filmed an 8 hour presentation complete with about 150 slides on a power point presentation. I got the file in 2 forms: pdf of each slide and a powerpoint file. I went to the pdf and exported all slides into TIFF files and was inserting them into my video.

All WAS well until I used the track motion to shrink the slide and put it in a corner of the screen so you can still see the presenter. The image gets very blurry and crappy, mostly illegible.

What do I do? Should I have exported them differently somehow? I tried turn the slideshow into an avi video file by putting all the slides in a session and rendering that down, but that didn’t work either. Same issue.

After looking up some stuff I know that ppt is annoying to work with, but hoping someone on here has some ideas on how to best make it so those files are clear when they are shrunken down.

Please help!

Participant

Check out this link and tell me if this is what you are doing (click on the Youtube logo to view it larger on the Youtube webpage):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apMMokAnRr0&feature=related

At about 6:39 is a Powerpoint Slide, saved as a JPEG.  I used AVS4You’s Video Editor.  The slide is in the Video Overlay track, moved and sized to keep the presenter in view.

The video was saved in 720P and uploaded to youtube — anything less than 720P and the video is terrible.  (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJRmwckGdmQ at about 2:05 the first title slide appears.)  This was with the AVS4You “Youtube” video setting in the editor.

The 720P MPEG file format gave me the best rendering of the video and slides.

What program are you using?

Participant

hey i looked at this on youtube at 720k. really came out nice. great job.

Participant

Haven’t had a chance to look at what cfxcorp did yet, but Camtasia Studio has been a mainstay in many folks toolbox to take PC presentations and capture them to video.

Participant

CFXCorp, that’s great. Yea, that’s what I need. I use Sony Vegas Pro. I’d imagine I can do it right in Vegas! …but maybe not. Any ideas on that?

Did you use the AVS4You Video Converter or Video Editor?

Birdcat, I’ll check out Camtasia as well, though obviously hoping to manage all of this right in Vegas if I can… seems crazy that there wouldn’t be a way to do it right in the box with Vegas…

Participant

Take a look at http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/ShowMessage.asp?ForumID=4&MessageID=777316 on the Sony Editors Forum.

I haven’t tried Liam’s utility in vers.11.0 but it works like a dream in vers. 8.0, breaking out the PowerPoint presentation into single jpg files.

Search the Sony Forum for username “johnmeyer” and his comments to a question I posed regarding shrinking in Track Motion vs shrinking using Pan/Crop. Its been a while but he had some very useful insight into the pros and cons of both. You can probably get to this by looking for username “JackW” (me) where you can find his information too. I don’t want to comment on this because I’ve forgotten the details — i.e., whether it’s better to crop in Pan/Crop or Track Motion. You might try shrinking using Crop and then positioning in Track Motion to see which works best.

You might also look at the presentation product made by Singular, the same company that produces Plural Eyes. They have a very fine program that combines PowerPoint images and the presenter. At $250 it’s pricy, but it does the trick. We’re about to purchase it for our shop.

We have just wrestled with a five hour presentation in which we received 65 PowerPoint slides that were all but useless; this is a common problem. The slides all used a dark brown figured background with white lettering. The font was 12 point Times New Roman, a font with serifs, with a light gray drop shadow.

When cropped down to fit within the safe-text area the text was almost completely unreadable. We addressed the problem by having the client re-do the PowerPoint using black text on a white background with 18 point Ariel text (sand serif) and no drop shadows. It’s better, but still not perfect.

Finally, you might re-think your project. There’s usually no need to have a PowerPoint slide on screen for more than a few seconds. How about having a full-screen PowerPoint slide with the speaker’s voice over? Or let the slide dominate and do a small picture-in-picture of the speaker.

Good luck with this.

Jack

Participant

k, well I tested out both AVS and Camtasia, and sadly neither really do what I need. Or so it seems.

I was able to use AVS to make a video out of my ppt file, and I CAN use track motion to shrink it and it looks good.. BUT, being that there are so many slides, the video is long and I’d have to manually split out each slide and then track motion them in when appropriate.

Anyone know any other short cuts to do this effectively and efficiently? I’ll do the manual work if I have to but I’m talking like almost 200 slides.

Participant

Jack i do like the idea you have of showing the slide large and video smaller.. that’s a good possibility, but I’d rather it be my fall back if I can’t figure out the original way I want to go.. thanks!

Participant

Well scratch that… i tried to go and do all this manually and the files are still jagged when I shrink them down. Why?! Any ideas on how to fix this? I’d really like to deliver this in the intended way… any other help?

Participant

I have used Camtasia a bunch of years ago -It allowed me to play the PPT and save it as an AVI file which I then used in my NLE. I thought it was a piece of cake then but things may have changed since then.

Participant

Shaun,

You received some great suggestions from Jack and Birdcat is right, Camtasia is very easy to use for rendering out ppt. PowerPoint 2010 allows you to render out to avi but Camtasia has much more export options.

The pixelation occurs whenever you try to use an asset in alarger or smaller project.IF you have the original ppt slides thentext should not be the problem, the text is scalable. Pictures are not the same but you didn’t mention it. As Jack pointed out, some ppt shows use shadows and serifs which really make them look bad. What i’m saying is, if you match the asset to your project size, or the other way around, you won’t have the pixelation.

You didn’t mention what format you are rendering out to, for DVD or the web. If you are looking for an interactive web format where both the slide and a talkinghead, or a talking head and a slide, can be used together, google PowerPoint Producer (free) and try it out with 10 slides to see if you like it. Before camtasia I used to capture ppt using MS Media Encoder (9) and produced in Producer (2003).

If you are doing for DVD and you really want to have the slide in the background w/o any pixelating and occasionally you want the slide at the front, you may need two versions.

Usually when I make a video of a talk with slides, I just show the slides and use the audio as narration unless the speaker is really a dynamic one, then I switch back often for the gestures. With multiple timelines it’s easy enough to have both the speaker and the slide on the screen at once; as editor you get to decide what isw more important. And, as Jack mentioned, sometimes there is so much text it’s difficult to display, bear in mind that just because the person mistook powerpoint creation for powerstorytellingonaslide, it doesn’t mean you have to make a bad video. Some people can’t self edit and some don’t know they should so you have to ‘edit’ (without trivializing).I don’t think there is anything wrong with skipping a dense slide or making multiple slides out of the material on one slide. I’ve done both and always for the sake of clarity.

Participant

YES! It is a text issue, i’m not concerned about the few graphics she has.. I’m tech savy, but not familiar with all this. How do you scale the text in the original PPT file?

Participant

In ppt presentations – I mean the actual ppt show, the text scales automatically so it is never pixelated. When shown live, If a ppt show has pixelated text it is related to the projector settings (as long as you have set resolution as high in the slideshow tab)

You may also want to try to change the slide dimension in page setup of the design tab. Chose 16×9 from the drop down – sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn’t!

When you save ppt slides as jpegs they come out as 960×720 so your project should be created in that range – that’s good, you can make a 720p project with that and a little blackmatte back drop. If you are saving as video (wmv) you have the choice to make it smaller than that.

So, if I were to make a guess at why you are getting pixelated text I would guess:

a) that you are working in a (16×9) 1080 size project and…

b) there is some funky setting to expand the (4×3) image to fill the screen (maybe Birdcat can say – I don’t use SONY products)

or

c) you haven’t try to render yet a sample yet and everything is fine and you don’t know it

Participant

It’s not not that don’t look ok full screen, it’s when I shrink them down that they look very jagged and pixelated. CFXCorp, it looks like you were able to do that. Can you walk me through how you did it.

How did you get the ppt file into the final video? Did you export the files from PPT as images, then drop them into the video session?

Participant

Shaun: My wife pointed out an extremely important factor in working with PowerPoint materials (she edits with many of our instructional media clients.) Be sure that the render setting in “Properties” (bottom of the File Menu in Vegas) is BEST, rather than the default GOOD. This can make a significant difference in the image quality of the final product.

In most renders GOOD is adequate, but with PowerPoint BEST seems to sharpen up the appearance of the text.

Jack

PS: Also be aware that in the newest version of PowerPoint, presentations can be saved as AVI files. I haven’t tried this myself but it has been reported in the Sony Editor’s Forum. This won’t help you in the current project but in future you can suggest to your clients that they save their projects this way.

Inactive

don’t use track motion, use the pan/crop tool. track motion will take the image scaled down to the project size and then move it. Pan/crop uses the original image resolution.

Participant

Jack.. VERY helpful.

Johnboy, how do I use the pan/crop tool to shrink the video and move it to a new position on the screen? I’ve never used it for that and though I looked, couldn’t see how to do that… but I’m pretty new to Vegas..

thanks for your help!!

Participant

Sorry, I was away for a few days eating turkey and stuffing.  I used 2007 PPT, I Save As and choose JPEG as the format.  Select a save to location.  WHen you save it asks Current Slide or All, select All.  With this choice it saves all of the slides as inidividual JPEGs in a folder with the PPT filename.  I have on occasion edited the slides to make sure the text is near the top of the slide so I can show as little as necessary in the video overlay.

I don’t put alot of time in the camera work nor the editing as you can tell.  The AVS4You editor allows the overlay to be resized and transparency set to 20.

Participant

I also have Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9.0, but find it cumbersome for a novice like myself.  They are right to use the Pan/Crop tool, though I find it non-intuitive and I have trouble matching my overlay and video tracks to the same 16:9 format.

Participant

Well, I figured I should learn how to do this in Vegas, so…

This link shows how to crop the PPT then animate the motion if desired:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/video/video.asp?vid=81

This link shows you how to position the PPT slide, similar to Picture-in-Picture:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/video/video.asp?vid=82

RockyRocky
    Participant

Including a PPP into an editrecently proveda problem, if all slideshad beenstill JPEG, thenno problem.The problem weexperienced is illistrated with one moving slide that commences at 1min 50sec in the attached video timeline. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KVNmPs53ds

PPP into Adobe Premiere ProCS4

Attempting to use the latest $299 version of Camtasia Studio7proved useless, resulting in an extreme loss of PPP resolution,using all optional settings,after the event my poor Camtasia resolution problems were caused by -nil provision in Camtasia for Australian PAL 25fps -Cantasia works 100% with FCP on a Mac but hopeless with Adobe Premiere ProCS4/Elements9 & Sony Vegas9 on a PC. From scanning various forums it would appear similar problems do not existin NTSC or SECAM environments.

• In the end Iobtained best results by:-
    • obtain a disc copy of the PPPat conclusion of presentation
    • source thePPP AV outputfeed fromPC ..and..
    • feed direct into a Sony HVR-A1 HD camera &record as normal
    • importing recording into edit as normal.

Trust the above may assist someone. Rocky

• Viewing 20 reply threads

Best Products

Camera on a hand held stabilizer

Best camera stabilizers for video — 2020

A camera stabilizer lets you capture smooth shots without sacrificing freedom of movement. Here’s a look at the best handheld stabilizers available today.
    homicide-bootstrap