people that don’t want to be taped.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Got a second cameraman job for my first wedding shoot today and unsure I want to go out and do one on my own now because it was quite stressful at times. Like wanting to get every shot perfect so it will cut well and having lots of nice editing choices.

One of the things that really made it awkward was that I noticed a lot of people self-conscious and irritated by the camera and wanted me to go away. I can appreciate this because I can’t stand being taped either. Does this sort of thing not make all you wedding videographers feel self-conscious?

Participant

I understand and feel the same way, but I just keep remembering that I was hired to be their and do a good job. Most of those people are just shy and fear being put on the spot, but they still understand that the bride and groom want you to be there to document their special day. They’ll get over it and sometimes after a few drinks those same people get very courageous in front of that camera…sometimes to the point of embarrassment (which is what they were trying to avoid in the first place.)

I would keep from shooting large quantities of general dancing. Many people just want to let loose on the dance floor and feel awkward if the camera is always rolling. I just wait for them to get relaxed and start taping when they really get going. Most of the time they forget or don’t even notice that I’m there.

I also never shoot while people are eating…It’s pointless, boring and irritating. If anything, I will just get a couple of pans of the hall from a distance.

When I shoot the guests at the table, I keep it very brief. Most people wave "hi" or say "congratulations" to the bride and groom. If they are shy and unresponsive, I just wave hi and say congratulations! or cheers! and they get the point and follow suit.

If I’m doing interviews, I usually have the DJ announce a designated spot for those interviews. That way I’m not bothering those that could careless about an interview, plus it gives people a chance to think about something good to say. However, it is sometimes necessary to find recruits, or wait at the exit door and ask people for an interview as they are leaving.

I suppose I could be of more help if you could explain the situation when those people became irratated.

Regardless, as I said before, they’ll get over it and you’ll never seen them again. Just be happy you did what you were hired to do. It’s kinda like when there is construction and traffic is backed up, people get irratated but understand it’s necessary. If they are to obtuse to understand that, it makes it that much easier to shrug them off and move on to something more entertaining.

Best Regards,

Corey

Inactive

Here’s how I look at it. The bride and groom have paid me anywhere from several hundred to several thousand dollars to record the event well. Those guests aren’t paying me anything. So between the two, the people I listen to are the people who pay me X-D

Seriously though, on the back of my contract that all the couples sign, I have a release saying that the couple is responsible for informing the guest that there will be taping at the event, and that by virtue of their attendance, all guests consent to being taped. Or at least it goes something like that. That way, if someone blows a gasket that I taped them and they’re very private about that, I’m not liable for whatever stupid lawsuit they might try to pull. The sad thing about weddings is that in that room of 175 people, there’s probably at least one who would pull a stupid lawsuit if they ever got the chance. And that’s why I paid a lawyer to type up a whole page worth of that obnoxious fine print.

And what Correce said definitely holds true, ESPECIALLY about recording guests while eating. It’s a bad idea. Anymore, we usually ask for a meal ourselves. After all, the DJ & photographer (if they’re there) get a meal, so we aught to as well. Or if we don’t do that, we take that time to go outside and get some establishing shots, or snag some decoration b-roll material.

Participant

Hey On A Roll, is there any way you could email me the fine print? I’d be interested to see your wording. I am not a wedding videographer, but I do tape people who are unaware and sometimes get disgruntled. Thanks.

Inactive

Hey moglepro,

sure, shoot me an email. My email address is info at mydomain name (the domain at the bottom of my sig.)

I will say that as a disclaimer, I paid an attorney set this up specifically for my company. While I’m sure you could probably get away with changing my names to yours, but it’s probably still wise to have a lawyer on your end take a good look see to make sure it’s all applicable to you in your home state.

But like I said, shoot me an email and I can pass along portions of the fine print or the whole thing. I won’t even make you pay me for the legal expense I went to to put it together (but if you did want to pay me something, I wouldn’t turn it away! X-D )

Inactive

Oh, one more thing.

If people ever come to me saying they don’t want to be taped (and with several dozen weddings a year, it happens a bit), I always tell them the same thing:

"If you don’t want to be on camera, you need to do what I did and get behind one!"

X-D

Participant

Nice way to put the ball back in their court πŸ™‚

Participant

You got hired, and you are trying to do your best.
      If someone encounters you, be polite and say, that you will try not to get them on tape. Believe me, it’s about your confidence, and it’s coming very fast.

On the other hand: wedding video is not for everybody. I know professional news cameramen refusing doing weddings, it’s too hard. May be it is not yours.

Participant

Thanks all for the reply. I did my second one yesterday, again as second camera. It was still difficult (esp the ceremony) but I think I did a better job. As before I was all for wanting to get everything on camera, now I realise I have to concentrate on quality shots rather than the quantity of. There is a lot of pressure but its also a great adrenaline rush when things are going good.

Participant

I always try to respect the guests wishes but remember that my job is to capture the wedding. If I have to tape someone who doesn’t like being on tape, too bad. But if I can help it, I will leave them out. While I agree that your responsibility is to the client, I remember that the impression I make during the wedding could (and often has) get me more business.

As far as asking for a meal, sure it’s nice to be fed, but I have specifically written in my contract that we do not expect one. Why should the client be responsible to pay top dollar for me to eat the same meal as their family and friends? I can bring PB&J if I need to. However, about 2/3 of my clients offer us a meal anyway and I will definitely not turn it down if offered.

Inactive

As far as asking for a meal, sure it’s nice to be fed, but I have specifically written in my contract that we do not expect one. Why should the client be responsible to pay top dollar for me to eat the same meal as their family and friends? I can bring PB&J if I need to. However, about 2/3 of my clients offer us a meal anyway and I will definitely not turn it down if offered.

I think I may have misspoke, or at least mis-stated my case. Typically, we’re about the same in this respect as you are. What I meant was we usually ask if the couple plan on feeding the vendors at the reception, and if they say that they are, we politely ask if they would set out two places for us. If not, it’s not a big deal, and this is why we have a neat softside cooler that fits in one of our rolling cases.

As far as reception meals go, I don’t think there’s a right or wrong as far as feeding the animals, er, vendors go. If the reception is buffet style, they usually pay per tray of food as opposed to a per-plate fee, and even if we bring a third videographer with us, all three of us won’t put a dent in a buffet tray of whatever it is that’s being served. Some venues even throw in free meals for vendors if asked. Also, I was a hotel manager for a while once, and from seeing how the various catering departments worked, I can say that there’s always plenty left over after everyone’s been served. So even if your couple isn’t serving the vendors, if you pop your head back in the service corridor and say something like "Hey, I’m videotaping this wedding, and I was wondering if there are any leftovers" you may find yourself well fed. More than once, our plates were fuller than those of the guest, just because tey had so many leftovers.

Ultimately, whether or not you eat, or what you’re eating, isn’t really a big deal. The one thing that is a big deal is not to waste tape recording people stuffing their face. Of course, keep that camera on standby, just in case you hear the tanging of glasses!

Participant

Hi guys! I know this is an old topic but hey…you might wanna know! I shoot weddings in Botswana Africa and here people are much more willing to be seen in the wedding video. My formula is each person should appear at least once, but not necessarily filling the screen alone. The wedding family are the stars so i concentrate on them. If someone expresses that they would rather not appear in the video, i inform them to take the responsibility to avoid the camera or the wedding stars. They are at a wedding and you cannot manage to avoid aboout 5 to 10 people while trying to produce a good video.

I often shoot the eating too, because there would seem to be a vacuum seeing hungry people and the next they are all satisfied and dancing. I do so by filming the dishing of food and its distribution.Then a quick tasting by one or two people. Then an empty plate by a satisfied guest. I use zoom to avoid getting in their face while they eat. Then i put my camera aside (but ready) so they are comfortable to stuff their faces in peace.

As for eating, cultural politeness means they always offer, except once where there was a birthday party in an expensive restuarant. There an extra plate would cost money. Sometimes i find it hard to eat and work so i often put filming first. At one wedding this other video guy spent more time trying to get more wine for himself, stealing wine bottles from the front table.

At a funeral I inform my guest to inform people that video shooting will take place. Then i set up my equipment very early without shooting as a warning to the sensitive ones who can them inform me not to film them if they so wish!

Cherio Global friends!

Inactive

Hi Man-KC

It sounds really interesting, how you do weddings. I suppose there are a lot of cultural differences out there when you’re halfway across the world.

Do you have any demos or one of your wedding videos online? I’d really be interested in seeing what an African wedding video would look like!

Thanks for posting!

Participant

Hi there On a roll

i will try to organise some footage pices of the weddings I have done here. If you want a full DVD i would have to get your postal address though. Mentime i will try to compress some short scenes and send them or place them on You tube. Still learning that. You might be surprised to discover they are so similar to weddings in your country though. We call them white weddings, when they are western style modern and with the wedding gown. So much like your weddings that side.

Cherio!

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap