PC Designed for DVD Production

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

While on location in southern California, I stopped by Applied Magic’s office to check out the new "DVDShop", a PC custom designed for DVD authoring. This is one "mean machine" that makes DVD authoring straight forward and reliable. You can do automated burns or adjust all the parameters of the capture with the custom software.
      http://www.applied-magic.com/p_dvdshop.html

Inactive

Nice pricetag!

I built a dual core 2.8GHz Pentium D with 2 Gig of RAM and 5 DVD burners for $1500. I already own Adobe’s Premiere, Photoshop, and Encore so I can do all it can and more for less.

Honestly, if someone has the $2000 pricetag in their pocket they’d be better off buying a complete computer system. That system was designed for 1 thing. A computer has far more flexibility.

Inactive

It’s a PC capable of other things, just pumped for video throughput. Somebody starting from scratch for hardware and software can spend a ton of money and maybe have a bug free system. I hate spending a lot of money experimenting.

Inactive

Like I said, my new system cost less and is pumped more than that one. That only has one 160 Gig hard drive. I have 3, a 250 Gig SATA, a 200 Gig IDE, and a 160 Gig IDE. Win XP pro with SP2, 5 Pioneer DVR-111 burners, a 550watt power supply, 2 Gigs of DDR2 667 RAM, and my graphics card has 256MBs of RAM just for video. Its far quieter that my last system. I suppose the only draw back is that the tower is big. So what! It holds up to 5 hard drives. And yes, its bug free.

Maybe not everyone has the technical skill to build a powerhouse computer but there are cheaper ones available with alot of power. I guess what your really paying for with that system isn’t really the computer part of it but the software already in it. Adobe Encore alone cost me $350. That makes my system value at around $1850. Add Premiere, Photoshop and other software, ok, maybe you have a point. I didn’t realize the unit could do more than author DVDs. I hope the menus included aren’t the only ones you can use. I was not impressed with them.

Inactive

Your system sounds very robust. Most can’t build a fault free mixture of hardware and software, so must rely on commercial units.
      The DVDShop does have dual HD’s. One nice thing is that you can export the "burn" directly to the multi-bay duplicator. There are a lot of built in menus, but you can drop your own in the file. Graphics/text can be sized and moved around on the menu screen.
      DVDShop was designed as a turn-key system that would fit most any need. For those of us that have built our own systems- and had fun doing it, software is always an issue.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best After Effects and motion graphics template sites – 2021

You have the tools needed to create stunning motion graphics, but do you have the time? If not, using motion graphics templates can be a great way to add polish to a production without blowing your deadline.
homicide-bootstrap