Panasonic-Sony-Canon?-Intense Newbie

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am intense Newbie cause I really want to go somewhere here(and I am new to it all).

My goal: Movies- now independant-next movies for DVD and HBO (or something like-at least quality equivelant) someday full scale Hollywood productions.

Camera’s looked at hard: Man I have been all about the Sony FX-1 but now my eyes have been widened to other options ___thank you video forums and everyone here— I got the budget for the FX-1 and I like the idea of beng closer to the cutting edge. but really do I need it, and is it really my best option for what I want to do? I have read a wealth of opinion on this allready, but m aybe direct stuff to me would help my heart is still kinda searching. SOMEBODY quench my thirst. I have looked into the GL-2 I don’t know whay but something in me doesn’t like it so much, something really likes the FX-1 but I need to be sure it is apropriate. And then these panasonic options are killer too. I really want a Sony or a Pany. but point me in the right way.

Thanks alot,….ALOT

Participant

ok took a hard look at these two on this B&H photo site everyone talks about so much. Looked at the ag-dvc30 on the panasonic site and it gives a much lower price. Am I looking at the same thing? What is the difference between these two camera’s. Will the cheaper AG_DVC30 get me started or is the another 1500 well beyond worth it for the dvx100b? They both get great reviews but not much is said for purpose of the owner having the cameras.

Panasonic AG-DVC30 1/4-Inch 3-CCD or

AG-DVX100B 3-CCD 24p/30p/60i Mini-DV Cinema ?

The HD cameras panasonic is offering are crazy expensive compared to the FX-1. I am tottally lost on the difference between the two HD Models.

If someone can address this all I will forever greatfull. Thank you compusolver that was an incredible response!!

Participant

Those panasonic Camera’s are great all of them- I read some user ratings and a guy wishes he would have gotten sony’s vx2100. I lookm,ed at this camera and it looks like the panny 100b equivelent with a much better price. Am I wrong it this sony Camera not a movie camera. You allready said the 100b is a movie camera correct. I see in the technical specs of all of these and even the FX-1 which you recommended against for movie making, and all of these camera’s advertise movie modes, like ciniswitch and ciniframe… How are you able to determine that the FX-1 is for events and won’t do me right for movies.. I am lost? I did notice that alot of people had complaints of image quality in the 16×9 mode cause it is not "native" I am assuming 16 by 9 is widescreen dimensions. sony’s vx2100 is a camera you mention on here that own (if i am not mistaken)… It is obviously your experience that allows to judge a camera for purpose. Can you recommend some other options for my purpose? the FX 1- vx2100 and the advertise abilities for film making… I am confused…

Participant

If your looking for a deal. I just found a site that sells the PD170 for 1,999. It’s new, not refurbished.

Participant
      Participant

compusolver Wrote:

Here’s is just one of many – all negative – reviews on bestpricecameras.com:

8/11/06 11:17 AM
      Place order for item on website which was good price. Listed work number as my contact number WHICH I NEVER DO. Received call asking what battery I wanted to purchase (for over $100). I told them if a battery didn’t come with it, to cancel my order. My order was cancelled and not long after I receive a call from the fraud unit of my credit card asking if I had charged items to Pakistan International. I had not and my card was subsequently canceled and reissued. I receive a call from a merchant about some colognes I ordered and wanted sent to Viet Nam. The call was to my work number WHICH I HAD ONLY GIVEN TO BESTPRICECAMERAS. Not only are they a scam operation, they will sell your credit card number. DO NOT EVEN THINK OF USING THEM.

WOW…. πŸ™ πŸ™

Thank you for the heads up.
      The prices they have on that site are unbelievable, now I know why.
      I also found this site with more damning info.
      http://forums.photographyreview.com/showthread.php?t=10918

I know that B & H is good, but who else gives good sevice at a great price?

Thanks again for the heads up…. πŸ˜€

Participant

I guess that is the big dream huh. a Camera with 24p and native 16×9 that has a good reputation for movie making in the price range of 2Grand. In the end it seems that you are just going to have to shell out the dough and get the panny HD camera if you want a good camera. Ok fine So I will shell out the dough to get me in the 5,000 range of camera’s. Anyone want to chip off a few hours of my new chunk of time to research cameras in this price range? If this is what I will need this is what I must do. If I am serious then I must invest into it like I am. I have worked enough projects were you cut corners so much that you end up with a bunch of crap that doesn’t get you were you need to go all to replace it all later anyways. I just got to face the facts here that I need to pony up some more mula. Again maybe in the progression of this process some people have some new recommendations on cameras.

You guys are great.

Participant

DCR-VX2100 gets the Video Makers Test Bench "Highest Praise" it does not have as much talk of film like video but they rave about the camera.

The panny 100b: doesn’t get the test benches’ praise so thick, but there is loads of talk about its film -looking like stuff.

I having trouble finding elaborations on this.

If I am going to make serious films it seems that I am going to want somthing with native 16:9. The panny HVX-2000 has that.

My new questions are:

Will the DCR-VX2100 do me good for movies? And can I do the movie like look and feel with editing filters and software (I read about this post filming effects)?Does this camera have the native 16:9 (I am missing it from the articles I have scene and am not recognizing it clearly in the B&H specs)?

The Panny 100b does not have the 16:9. Is this a huge a downfall for me?

The PANNY HVX2000 HD memory cards are gonna get way to pricey for me to get into into now, but this camera could end in the long term being a pay off here…. For now will this Camera do the same Film look stuff the 100b will with the 16:9 using normal mini DV? – and there fore maybe be my best bet?

///if your goal were similar and you had about 5 grand total to put into this (I allready have my AMD 64×2 Computer and editing software). what do you think you would do.

I know I am asking alot of question here.. but I wrote a screenplay with good reviews and I got to get moving on this puppy before I loose my venue!!!

THANKS A TON GUYS!!!

Participant

DCR-VX2100 gets the Video Makers Test Bench "Highest Praise" it does not have as much talk of film like video but they rave about the camera.

The panny 100b: doesn’t get the test benches’ praise so thick, but there is loads of talk about its film -looking like stuff.

I having trouble finding elaborations on this.

If I am going to make serious films it seems that I am going to want somthing with native 16:9. The panny HVX-2000 has that.

My new questions are:

Will the DCR-VX2100 do me good for movies? And can I do the movie like look and feel with editing filters and software (I read about this post filming effects)?Does this camera have the native 16:9 (I am missing it from the articles I have scene and am not recognizing it clearly in the B&H specs)?

The Panny 100b does not have the 16:9. Is this a huge a downfall for me?

The PANNY HVX2000 HD memory cards are gonna get way to pricey for me to get into into now, but this camera could end in the long term being a pay off here…. For now will this Camera do the same Film look stuff the 100b will with the 16:9 using normal mini DV? – and there fore maybe be my best bet?

///if your goal were similar and you had about 5 grand total to put into this (I allready have my AMD 64×2 Computer and editing software). what do you think you would do.

I know I am asking alot of question here.. but I wrote a screenplay with good reviews and I got to get moving on this puppy before I loose my venue!!!

THANKS A TON GUYS!!!

Participant

ok well the whole ten year thing… yeah thats me..for sure and I know it, htis is plain old what I am going to do no further questions on it needed.. so now that we have covered that I am going to jump right in and start my learning, as far as my investing and the technical aspects of this if someone could please answer the questions I asked I would love it. this forum has scratched the surface of comparing these cameras but lets just hash it out now. Wich of these cameras can we collectively decide to be the best for the many like me shopping in my price range with similar goals as mine.

You guys rock!

Participant

i really hope some one can see the delema I am having and the closeness between these camera’s..selcection is tough here! I am thinking that the Panny HD will be a more lasting investment but is it necessary? IT really seems that this the one that has all the features. The FX-1 come close exept for the Audio and that this forum seems to be against it for movie making…again I guess my above listed questions with answers would really help.

Participant

My personal opinion is that in good lighting, the Canon will look the best (again, this is my opinion), but it doesnt do well in low light (gets grainy real fast). I personally would sacrifice better low light footage (maybe %5 of what I shoot) in the interest of a better shot in good lighting.

Inactive

If you can, get the panasonic dvx-100B. It shoots in 24p and is all you need. The Hd cameras are sick but it is a waste of you money right now. Untill the cable networks put every channel in 1080i HD and untill everyone has a blue ray dvd player the hd’s are a waste of time. It will not play in hd if you do not have those dvd players for dvd’s it will come out the same as the other 3ccd cameras. The sony vx2100 is very good to use especially in dark areas, it filmes the brightest in dark rooms. The panasonic is pretty good too afer you adjust the white balance.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best After Effects and motion graphics template sites – 2020

You have the tools needed to create stunning motion graphics, but do you have the time? If not, using motion graphics templates can be a great way to add polish to a production without blowing your deadline.
homicide-bootstrap