panasonic miniDV tapes can re-record 500 times

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Hello guy, first time in this forum. would like to ask how many times can a normal miniDV tape re-record without degrade in quality. Went to buy tapes and happen to heard from a salesguy who said a model of panasonic tapes that can re-record 500 times.

Anonymous
      Inactive

tes,

I have read several posts from video pros saying that the Panasonic Professional tapes are among the most reliable. But I sure wouldn’t re-record over them for hundreds of times. As you run a tape over the record heads, it does wear on the tape; and, after a while, particles will come loose from the tape. Some of these tiny particles will find their way into the gap in the record head. Eventually you’ll have a clogged head, which causes glitches in the recording. Also, the worn-out tape can have drop outs where the particles have flaked off. This is more evident in HDV, but even with standard def it can be a problem. My policy is to never (well, ALMOST never) re-record.

Ken Hull

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thankyou Ken, I guess I should record the most two or three times. 500 times sounds a bit too much.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

Best micro four thirds lenses — 2021

MFT, or micro four thirds, is a popular mount style used by many manufacturers in conjunction with the micro 4/3 sensor. It’s good to keep in mind that micro four thirds camera systems use a smaller sensor.
homicide-bootstrap

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.