Panasonic GS65 and 150

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

From what I understand these are both consumer 3 chip cameras. I am looking to get a new (consumer) mini-dv camera, but have not found any reviews in comparison to other camcorders on the market. Is there somethng I should be looking for beyond the 3-CCD?

Participant

There are a lot of things to look for beyond the 3 ccd. Don’t get me wrong, I have seen these cameras in action, and they do a decent job. Although they are 3 ccd’s, they aren’t necessarily any better in picture quality than an upper range single chip camera like a sony or a canon. The single chipper would have a larger ccd. Which leads me to my point of ccd sizes, one of the biggest differences in picture quality comes from ccd size the ccd’s on the gs 150 are 1/6th inch. Compared to my Canon GL2 with 1/4″ ccd’s and my Sony HDRFX1 with 1/3″ CCD’s. There is a big difference because of the size of the chips. The other things to consider are lux (low lighting capability) and features such as size, zoom, optical image stabilization, etc. Hope this helps. If you are looking in the $500-$700 range you might check out some of the new canon or sony’s like the Sony DCR-HC90, it looks like a nice, small mini dv camera. Better yet, save up and get a nicer prosumer for the $2000 range:)
      Just a thought.

Later
      ~Adam

http://www.inmotionvideo.biz

Participant

Thats great info. I currently have a jVC DVL120u, and while a prosumer camera is definetly an option in the future, right now I just want something a step up from my JVC in that I wanted better color (especially indoors).

I really like what I have read about the panasonic, but in reading a review of the canon zr400 there are a couple things I like about that too. I like the idea of having a wide angle lens to attach and play with as well as having inputs other than firewire so it could double as a breakout box.

Any opinions about the canon?

Participant

Go with the panasonic before the canon is what I would say. It’s 3 1/6 inch chips will produce better color than the canons 1/4inch single. But I would still consider that sony HC90. Best advice I could give is to go to best buy or circuit city or somewhere to get your hands on them to check out the features, and make sure you like how it feels. Good luck, and let us know what you go with.

Thanks
      ~Adam
      http://www.inmotionvideo.biz

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best stock video sites — 2021

Stock video sometimes gets a bad wrap in the filmmaking community. In reality, however, we see stock video used every day in any number of applications. Below, you'll find our selections for the best places to look for stock...
homicide-bootstrap