Panasonic DVX100A or wait for the new Sony HVR-Z1U

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Ive given serious consideration to the field of Videography (I have some photography experience) and have decided to develop my skills in the areas of educational DVDs and documentaries. I anticipate that some of my work could end up on television. I do not have any desire at this point to make movies.

After much research I originally decided to purchase the Panasonic DVX100A, it can be purchased for around $2,000 via the web. However, after reading the recent news releases about the Sony HVR-Z1U I am wondering if it might not be worth the extra money (about $3,000 extra) to purchase this camera when it becomes available. High definition seems to be the wave of the future and I am concerned about buying a camera (the Panasonic) that might not be suitable for meeting broadcast requirements.

I would very much appreciate comments and suggestions from experts, people who have been in the business for quite some time. Should I go with the Panasonic or spring for the Sony when it becomes available. Time is not a factor.

As background, I will also be updating my computer equipment. Although I currently own Adobe Premier 6.5 and After Effects 5.5 I have not opened them (they were gifts dont ask.) In order to use Premier I have to purchase a special graphics card whereas if I were to get the Sony camera Id probably opt for the Vegas 5 NLE package because of its tighter integration with the camera.

Thanks very much for your assistance.

Dan K

Participant

Hi,
      You will find that Video/Film-making is fundamentally different from Photography. Camera movement and/or subject movement will be your universe. I would suggest immediately acquiring one of the many reasonably priced 1 chip mini DV camcorders from Sony, Canon etc for about $1K and start tomorrow to shoot shoot shoot, your own projects or for hire projects (e.g., house parties, friend’s weddings, interviews for cable access…). Don’t own a HD camcorder myself and will be holding off for a while. At the DC Video Technology Exposition about a year ago, attended a high profile workshop/marketing promotion session for one of the first “affordable” HD camcorders. Frankly, it was embarrassing for the presenters when they demonstrated (at my request) the performance of their camera in less than ideal lighting situations. This was a problem with digital cameras for several years at the beginning; in low light, analog still ruled. Well digital has conquered the darkness and results are now outstanding. It seems that HD will be going through the same tough period to get to a point where these new HD cameras can deliver what the 3 chip mini DVs can now do routinely (i.e., basic outstanding noise free image quality in all lighting situations). A recent article in Videomaker made me shudder for those jumping into HD at this time with high expectations. Do a lot of research if you have convinced yourself that you need to jump head first into HD. (Good research resource: http://www.videohelp.com) If you will be committing to this field as a career or major source of income, be aware that if you are serious, you will have 3 or more cams within short order, as backups, for 2 and 3 cam shoots etc. Wouldn’t hurt if you had some cheaper models in the mix, that you aren’t afraid to take out into the dusty playing field, leafy jungle, bad weather, newsworthy crowd events, etc. A digital 8 camcorder would not be a bad choice as a starter camera to learn the ropes. I own 6 camcorders at this time (Hi8, D8, and mini DV). I can tell you one thing; customers love the images I’m shooting with my Sony VX2100. Great success to you with your future productions.
      REGARDS — TOM

Inactive

Thanks, Tom. I appreciate the good advice.

Dan

Inactive

Thanks. It looks like you may have saved me a lot of trouble.

Dan K

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap