Panasconic AVC-HD to DVCPRO codec

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Need advice on AVC-HD. With the issues of AVC-HD and how it requires a monster computer to edit what is the advantages or disadvantages of using MainConcept’s AVC-HD to DVCPRO transcoder to convert the codec for easier editing? Panasconic offers this trancoder from it’s professional video website. I’ve used it in the past due to Premiere CS3 not accepting AVC-HD files. I now have upgraded to CS4 so this is not an issue. Just wondering if there’s an advantage or disadvantage to converting the codec to DVCPRO. AVC-HD does push my computer pretty hard.

Thanks,

Jerry

Participant

The benefit of DVCPro HD is that it’s an intra-frame codec, as opposed to Long GOP, which is what AVC HD is. Therefore, DVCPro HD is easier on the processor, and holds up better for color grading, graphics, and compositing.

Participant

Thanks Robert,

So, you recommend that I transcode my AVC-HD files to DVCPRO and run with that? That’s what I was kind of understanding. Sure it’s a much bigger file but I’d rather use a codec that is easier to deal with.

Again, Thanks!

Participant

Yea, transcode to DVCPro HD. Some people transcode HDV to DVCPro HD, too.

Participant

Thanks Rob!

Jerry

Participant

What does this mean, exactly? I’m using my HMC40 and editing the raw .mts files within Premier CS4 using the H.264 MainConcept Codec for output and uploading for YouTube. I do it all on my laptop too. How do I convert to DVCPro HD exactly? Is that how I need to setup the project from the beginning when I start it out, or are you talking about the output once completed?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap