Outshining the Competition

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Some really serious food for thought about how to set yourself apart from your competition. Read “Outshining the Competition” at E.C. Come, E.C. Go a blog site for independent professional video services providers and the people seeking their services – also with a healthy dose of marketing concepts and ideas.

Inactive

GREAT POST!

I completely agree with that entire blog posting. As a reminder, everything we do creates our “brand”. We need to really make sure everything we do makes our service shine.

On an interesting note, I haven’t upgraded to HD cameras yet. (I have the new PC and NLE in place, just not the cameras themselves yet.) A few folks from another forum I post on are giving me a little flak for this, saying that “everyone needs to” be shooting HD now. I disagree. In our market, only one other competitor even offers HD so far, and he’s this fresh kid who has maybe a couple years experience, tops.

My opinion is to look at it from my client’s perspective. What’s better for them – get a producer with over 12 years of production experience who shoots awesome SD footage and delivers at a reasonable price, or hire some inexperienced kid for a much higher rate, who had the best technology, but isn’t experienced enough to use it.

People need to remember that sometimes (and not always-I acknowledge that some markets are effectively closed to SD now) sometimes production value outweighs having the latest bells and whistles. Remember, some folks still have VHS decks, and DVD technology is 12 years old. It’s only been a year and three-ish months since Blu-Ray beat HD-DVD. DVD technology isn’t going to vanish any time soon.

Participant

I agree. Great post!

>>It’s only been a year and three-ish months since Blu-Ray beat HD-DVD. DVD technology isn’t going to vanish any time soon.

Yeah, and most people do not have Blu-Ray players, and my dad has not even heard of them!

Norman

Inactive

It’s only been a year and three-ish months since Blu-Ray beat HD-DVD. DVD technology isn’t going to vanish any time soon.

I agree. I was in the market for a new camcorder. With the HD craze in mind, but also with the realization that most people can’t play an HD disc or even have an HD TV, I decided on a Canon XH-A1s. I can still shoot in SD but I have “future-proofed” myself and will shoot in HD when the time/need arises.

Inactive

I figure in maybe a year or so, I’ll wind up with no choice but to upgrade to high def. When I do buy ’em, I’m going to go one of two ways:

If a newer ccd/cmos advance comes out giving better low light performance, I’ll buy that (and beat out all the early confromers who would have all their money tied up in inferior cameras.

If the ccd/cmos technology is about the same when I finally buy new cameras, I’ll buy some certified used gear from B&H, and I’ll have saved thousands over people who had to have all the pretty new toys before everyone else.

Either way, I’ve got a huge advantage. Nifty, eh?

Participant

Hi Earl.

I wanted to talk with you about this marketing concept. I am a minister, and so I tend to think of my needs in marketing as being really different than most people’s needs(tending towards non-existent); but when I sit down and really think about it, that’s wrong, isn’t it?

Even though I hand everything away for free (or at cost), I still need to market these concepts (and maybe even ‘sell’ the idea a little), don’t I?

Thank you for all of your help.

Norman

For whatever purpose you need to serve, if it involves getting the word out, attracting people of interest or interested people, gaining eyeballs, bringing in followers πŸ™‚ then marketing plays a major role in the success of your efforts – for profit, business or the winning of souls.

My dad is minister of The Called Out Church in Center, Texas. Years ago we developed a LONG video outlining the focus, purpose and intent of the church, church philosophy (Biblically based, if you will) that dad intended to distribute and share. Things took a different direction and we never really connected to editing it down to a controllable size, but it was effective to a degree the short time he utilized it.

This wasn’t something to make money, bring in revenue via contributions, or even realize a monetary value – it was intended to generate interest in, support for, and possibly church growth in terms of membership/congregation.

So, yes, a marketing focus even for YOUR purposes is vital and important to the success of your ministry efforts.

Participant

Hi Earl.

>>This wasn’t something to make money, bring in revenue via contributions, or even realize a monetary value – it was intended to generate interest in, support for, and possibly church growth in terms of membership/congregation.

So, yes, a marketing focus even for YOUR purposes is vital and important to the success of your ministry efforts.

Yes, exactly.

I need to pray more on this. If anyone has any words of wisdom, I would be more than glad to hear them.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap