Outdoor Reliable Waterproof HD video camera

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hello,

I have been doing some online research to find the right camera for my purposes. I will be travelling with my touring bike (many dirt roads) and will want to have a reliable, simple yet functional camera. HD is prefered with perhaps mounting positions such as a tripod dock would be a useful thing to have.

Ok now the debate.

My Bro has a GoPro Hero 2 and it shoots really good HD video capturing action. I will not be downhilling as extreme so for now will probably not need a housing thatrobust. Also the GP does not zoom or show me what scene i would like to shoot…Therefore the closest to my needs I have found — panasonic
      http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/HX-WA10/Specification/7059195/index.html?trackInfo=true
      This seems to have everything I want but there is no mention of a mountingpossibilityfor my screw on portable tripod…whereas perhaps the Veho http://www.veho-uk.com/main/shop_detail.aspx?article=230&mode=specificationshasmounting potential and hard casing available but comes at a price. A nice feature is its timer.

Thanks for looking and any suggestions will help the search πŸ™‚

Kevin,

I would go with the GoPro; this is what it is designed for. The range of accessories is great, helmet clips, straps, etc., you name it they do it! If you want to get the action and you in the frame, get 2; mount 1 facing forward getting the action and 1 facing you. If you cant afford 2 then shot separate angles and edit together.

We have 2 GoPro and they are great for the action shot!

Used them to film a leisure company promo and fitted one camera to the hand of a lifeguard and he dived of the 10m diving board into the pool POV shot of shots!

Look around the web at all the sports footage most of this will be shot on a GoPro. If youre got one already then you know what they do and it would be silly to have to get all different kit for the new one, different batteries etc. where you can use the same things.

Hope it helps.

I second the GP2, get an external screen with the GP2. This way you can point to what you really want. We used it to film a pulping process that was at 45 deg. C and it did not even fog up! GP 2 is the way to go with minimal $$

Participant

If you’re willing to spend some bucks, the Sony NX70 might do you well.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-broadcastcameras/cat-nxcam/product-HXRNX70U/

Participant

My vote is also for the GoPro. A great little camera. Small footprint. Versatile mounting system. Optional LCD screen. Waterproof to 180 ft. The new GoPro2 is about $300, but look around…I’ve seen lots of stores selling the GoPro HD (version 1) for $200 or less…a few less features than the GoPro 2 but still shots great 1080 video.

Kevin,

Any sports camera like the GoPro, Coleman, Drift or VIO have either built-in waterproofing or an included housing. You can also look into point-n’-shoot cameras like the Canon Elph series which have pretty good housings for their cameras. The advantage of using the PnS rigs is you can see what you’re shooting via the LCD screen. Only the VIO and the Drift models have small playback screens built-in or included as an attachment. The GoPro has an accessory monitor that allows preview/playback, but not live view. Paired with a small mounting attachment, you can get some amazing shots while on your bike.

the GP2 with accessory monitor does has live view!

Fx1,

If you’re talking about the GoPro LCD BacPac accessory monitor, it only has Preview and Playback not Live View while recording. If not, please give the manufacturer’s name for the ‘GP2’. I looked it up and did not find any reference for a camera with that model name.

Composite1,

I own a GoPro Hero2 and the LCD BacPac does permit you live view… I agree that its not stated in the lit but it does it… look carfully at the demo video

http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories/lcd-bacpac/#videoTabArea

and you will see the girl on the beach…

it works great trust me!

look at the above video ~ 0.18 mark and you will see the girl running into the view of the camera

Fx1,

I did look at the video demo. Yes you can see the video in preview mode. My question has been; can you watch and record at the same time? I’ve dug through several sources and reviews and no one has confirmed that. So as an owner of the rig, fire up your cam and record while watching what you are shooting with the bacpac. That’s true Live View and most point and shoots can do that. I like the GoPro and always thought not having an LCD was shortsighted. I was seriously looking into getting a couple as crashcams because the housings are much cheaper than for PnS rigs.

Participant
      Participant

It sounds like you need two cameras, not one. I’d acutally recommend you pick up the Panasonic AND a GoPro. Although you think you won’t be doing anything “extreme” cameras and bicycles = disaster.

I own a GP, bought one after my nephew gave me some footage for his wedding video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy23_YOuob4 If you wait until after the first introductory shots, you’ll see some fantastic skydiving GP video..

You might just decide to use two GPs. I went on a Razor expedition last Saturday. My buddy mounted his GP on the chassis and I wore mine on my head. It provided much more in the way of a true experience. The downfall is that you can’t zoom.

I wouldn’t be worrying about live viewing, what do you want to do, crash!!

So, I strongly recommend maybe storyboarding your plan out, maybe do a location sheet. Think about what you want to accomplish and go with one of my suggestions abouve. Good luck!!

Composite1,

to answer your question, yes you can point and shoot at the same time using the GoPro Hero2

see this short video done quickly last nigth…

http://youtu.be/ZhwCRUuc3bw

also in my short video you can see (upper left hand corner) on the GoPro the Red Icon saying it’s recording.

I use this camera to shoot industrial videos. especially in harsh and very wet areas. you need good lighting, but it gets the job done.

Fx1,

Thanks for the info. Amazing how none of the literature (even the manual) doesn’t mention that very important detail. As for ‘crashing’, hopefully there’s not much chance of that when shooting a studio style interview! During an interview, you definitely need to be able to see what you’re shooting while filming. Unless you don’t care about cranking out a ‘YouTube Special’, being able to see how your subject is framed and if there are any weird colorshifts during shooting are valuable beyond measure. Yes, the GoPro’s are very good outdoor daylight cameras. I just wouldn’t use one for a controlled interview unless I had no other option.

Now, funny thing. Even though PnS cameras have more image controls than the sports cams and allow you to zoom, I have yet to see one that will allow you to zoom while shooting. So when I use one for an interview, I’ll set the zoom’s focus for a close-up and then dolly back for a medium shot. If I want to do a crawl in, since I already have my focus I just move the camera in to the point where I originally focused. You could do similar movements with a sports cam, but you’re limited with that wide angle lens. You’ll start getting ‘fisheye’ warping of the image quick as you move in.

Inactive

I bought a Coleman brand (CVW9HD) waterproof video (and still) camera some months back. I own much better cameras but this had a couple distinct advantages. Waterproof to 10 feet. Runs off AA batteries (which I can carry in ample supply on extended trips away from electricity). Surprisingly good 720P/30 video and capable of 1080P (but w/o zoom) and adequate 5MP stills. Small and fits easily into a shirt pocket when out on the jet ski or raft or canoe. Easy for grandkids to operate (and that often produces some very interesting, child perspective, movies). Best of all, if it is dropped to the bottom of the lake only a modest investment is lost (about $80).

I own a Nikon AW100 but it runs on rechargeable batteries and is far more expensive to replace. I really wanted this Coleman camera to work. It fulfilled a very specific need for me.

But, and it is a very big reservation, the movies (.MOV) are not editable by Avid Studio, Pinnacle Studio HD 14, Windows Movie Maker or Vegas Studio 9. In the first three there is no (zero, zip) audio. Old fashioned silent movies. In Vegas there is audio but it is “out of synch” with the video. I can open them in QuickTime Pro 7 and resave them but the result is a 4:3 format and not a 16:9. Bottom line is that you can watch each separate clip in QuickTime but beyond that, can’t do anything meaninful to edit them (i.e., combine, delete, add effects, etc.).

I have tried in vain to get anyone from Coleman, from Avid (now owns Pinnacle) and from Vegas to give me any suggestions as to how I might be able to edit these.

Anyone out there have a suggestion? If we cannot solve this issue, I would avoid this Coleman camera.

Participant

I use an old sony digital 8 with vcr function and hook it up to the go-pro withthe av cables and go pro sekelton case to get live view for some of my work with the go pro…. all the go pros do live view if you run the av cables into some kind of display…

Participant

A less expensive alternative is the Swann HD Freestyle…pretty much a clone of the Go Pro/first in the series for $199 and often on sale for $140.  I have one and ran some tests with a friend who is the GoPro and they are virtually indistinguishable.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best digital storage for video editors β€” 2021

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
homicide-bootstrap