Other Camcorders Comparable to Canon XL1S

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

We’ve been using the canon xl1s for years now and would like to know if there are other camcorders that are smaller and much cheaper than the XL1S that are comparable in features, accessories, and capabilities.

Any recommendations?

Smaller? Yes. Cheaper? Yes. But comparable in features, accessories and capabilities? Absolutely uh-uh!

If you’re looking for smaller and cheaper with somewhat similar capabilities, then you’re looking at a GL1-2. But there’s not a camera that has the same level of controls, multiple lenses and ‘trick out’ potential than the XL1s. You can take an off the shelf XL1s from a barely prosumer ‘buzzsaw’ to a balanced broadcast/cinematic rig with the accessories available just from canon alone! Feature films like ’28 Days Later’ were shot with the XL1s.

The XL1s is a full 3CCD camera, with full control over its audio, image and it’s small. Even my company’s fully tricked out rig is still smaller than our JVC proHD rigs. The only real ‘smaller and cheaper’ option would be the Canon EOS 7D. However, to properly trick that camera out to a fully capable video camera, the accessories needed (shoulder mount, viewfinder, etc.) will run about as much if not more than tricking out an XL1s. But if you’re thinking you’ll find a similar prosumer video camera with the same capabilities you already have, good luck with that.

Participant

Composite is almost right, except he forgot about one camera: the RED One, lol, just kidding. Actually, the Sony Z7U may be comparable. It’s smaller, has interchangable lenses, even XLR connections.

Participant

Wait, did you mean cheaper by todays prices? That Sony is about $5000, which is what the XL used to go for, but of course it isn’t that expensive anymore.

Rob,

Cute about the RED ONE. I don’t even think you can get the box one of those comes in for what you can buy an XL1s kit for these days.

Yeah, back when we put together our XL1s kit it cost us around $10k back in ’02. Of course as I said we tricked that puppy out with a shoulder mount, 3 lenses, the b&w viewfinder, double battery holder, extra batteries. Not including the NVG kit, camera bag, tripod, raincover, fuzzy muff for the on camera mic and so on.

I checked around and most places that you can still get an XL2 (XL1s is discontinued), it’ll cost you $4k which is insane because you can get a JVC GY200UB w/Anton Bauer kit for $4k! So as far as getting something more capable but cheaper than an XL1s at today’s prices ain’t likely.

Participant

awesome feedback! thx guys

one more question, what’s the main difference between the xl1 and the xl1s?

Akira,

The XL1s has more image controls, color bars and the capacity to do 4 channels of audio with an optional MA200 audio adapter. Oh and it was also compatible with the 16x and 14x Manual lenses. In my opinion it was a better camera for the intermediate to pro videographer. Truthfully, I thought it was better than the XL2 as the only thing it had over the 1s was it could do 24p video.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best smartphone cameras for video — 2021

Nowadays, more and more people are reaching for their smartphones to shoot video. In recent years, smartphones have advanced drastically in regards to their shooting abilities. However, which smartphones boast the best shooting capabilities? After much consideration, we have...
homicide-bootstrap