Opinions wanted: “Decent” PC laptop choice for shorter projects: PE10

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Opinions wanted: “Decent” PC laptop choice for shorter projects: PE10

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hi Folks – I’m sure this question has been posed before, and will continue to be posed again, and again – Especially since PC’s change so fast

Anyway, I’m making short (2-5 minute long) videos which I’ll post to YouTube.

I usually work with 2 Audio/video tracks, and a narration track.

I want to edit and master them in 1080p HD, so I can show them on a TV too.

I’m currently using Premeir elements 10, along with a Dell Studio Laptop & Windows 7. The laptop has the following specs: Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo, T6600 2.2GHz;4GB Ram;I do not have any special, or upgraded, video processor

My current system can get the job done, but it is a dog while activly editing (I don’t really care about render time). I’d like somthing that will allow me to work faster, and was wondering what folks thought about this PC that’s on sale right nowhttp://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+15.6%22+Pavilion+Laptop+-+6GB+Memory+-+640GB+Hard+Drive+-+Dark+Umber/4815065.p?id=1218533331581&skuId=4815065

I’d like to know opinions on this, or other options.

Please keep in mind I am NOT a professional video editor, nor do I desire to be. My computer is used for word processing, and spreadsheet work 95% of the time, with video work only 5% of the time. And I don’t see myself doing any video work that is more involved than what I’m doing now.

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Participant

I have several of these they run CS5.5 Product Premium and also Premier Elements. They simply rock and are as smooth as silk. We use these laptops in the field and travel with them all the time:

HP ENVY 14 customizable Notebook PC
      * Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
      * 2nd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM (2 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 2.9 GHz
      * 1GB DDR3 Radeon(TM) HD 6630 switchable Graphics [HDMI, Mini Display Port]
      * 6GB 1333MHz DDR3 System Memory (2 DIMM)
      * 500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
      * No Additional Office Software
      * 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
      * 14.5″ diagonal High Definition HP BrightView Infinity LED Display (1366×768)
      * SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
      * Skype HD-capable – HP TrueVision HD Webcam
      * Intel 802.11a/b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth(R)
      * Backlit Keyboard
      * Adobe(R) Photoshop(R) Elements 9 & Adobe Premiere(R) Elements 9

Good Luck.

Participant

OK I have to chime in on this because this is a scam of Intel’s that to this day ticks me off. When I trained at Dell and learned that Intel had “created” out of thin air a concept and then fooled the world with it it made me really mad. The Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo is NOT I repeat NOT a processor. Centrino is Latin for 3, and Intel marketed this wording to create a concept that was touted as a better product. Here is the deal

Intel Centrino means (Three Intel parts)

1) Processor
      2) Chipset/Video
      3) Wirelss Adapter

The word Centrino in the processor name does not make it a better processor. In fact if I see that name on any laptop I do not buy it because I know I am getting crap graphics/chipset.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/109606/first_tests_intels_centrino.html

I know the scam has worked because so many of these sold and way way above the real cost they should have. And I read the above post so some were happy. But as a multicertified tech when I learned what was under the hood I got sick, think of the Centrino family like this. Take the motor out of a Ford Focus (I own one) Put it into the body of a Jag, then add the trans from the Focus and say the shaft. Now add noss and a few other items to make it run really fast. That is Centrino. A crappy motor in a nice body with noss. It will run great for a while and every once in a while some last a long time, but in the end you have a rebranded and renamed Intel video/chipset.

Any I apologize for being so forward, but It gets me when a company pulls something like this and fools so many people, they fooled me for years and I still know techs who do not know any better. ARG!

Participant

LOL- WOW- now that was helpful…

Participant

I’ve had pretty good luck with Toshibas and their speakers are the best laptop speakers I’ve heard.

Off the top of my head I’d go Win 7 with anew core i7 and8 gb of RAM.

17″ screen is nicer, but less portable than the 15″. Your call on that.

If you can get a dedicated graphics processor, great, but I’m not sure it’s vital for Elements. Really nice for CS5.5 if you planned to upgrade one day but a desktop with a CUDA graphics card is best for that.

My laptop is a Toshiba win 7, first gen core i3 with 4gb of ram and I’m using Elements to edit AVCHD and HDSLR mov. There are a lot of hangups watching in the timeline which is kind of annoying, but it all renders very nicely in the end. I might try doubling my RAM before replacing it since it does everything else really well.

I think if you look for something on sale you can probably get a really good Elements machine for about $800. I found one at a major discount store on sale for $799 that has 1tbof storagein the form of two 500 gb 5200 drives. Might be nice to have one for data and one for programs. $1300 would get you a 7200 drive and a real graphics card. An external USB 3 drive could rock as well.

I know you were thinking about a desktop, butI love being able to take my computer top a client and hit play.

Inactive

Joseph,

Thanks! for your info – That’s more along the lines of what I’m trying to figure out. And by the way, I want to stay with a Laptop – I need to be able to take my work with me.

My current set up (even if it has a crappy motor) is doing “OK” by MY standards. It renders fine for me: A 5 minute long video takes 10 minutes to render. Even if it took 10 hours, I’d be fine with that, because render time can be while I’m sleeping. I only make a couple videos a month.

Like yourself, my main problem is in the Timeline – Response is slow or delayed. Lots of “Hang Ups”. If I could get my work in the time line to run more smoothly, or faster (Less delays and hang ups), I’d be very happy – But I’m not really sure how to accomplish that goal. DO I need a faster processor? More RAM? A Bigger Drive?

It sounds like you have the sameamountof RAM as I do (4GB), and you may have a faster processor too. You mentioned about possibly upgrading the RAM – I can upgrade my current laptop to 8GB for about $100. Couldthis be a solution for me?

So in a nutshell, I’m fine with my render speed. I’m fine with how the video looks to me, on my screen. I have plenty of space to store the video. I just wish my work in the time line was faster with less hang ups – Will a RAM upgrade help to remedy that, or should I keep shopping?

Thanks again for your input

Participant

More RAM is always better. If I can scrape up the money to double mine I’ll let you know what it does. But I’m not sure if that alone will fix the problem. Mine does OK for short projects, it’s just long weddings where I’m starting to get gummed up.

Could be my drive speed, too, I suppose. Nothing to do about that. But a DV project I did recently worked smooth as could be so might not be the drive.

H.264 video live AVCHD is really processor intensive because it’s so compressed. I think (will need to double check) PE 10 has better support for AVCHD than PE 9 does. Regardless, modern highly compressed HD codecs really need a good processor.

The core i3 is a dual core with hyperthreading, so theoretically it acts like a quad processor. I’m not soldon it for video due to my own less than aweome experiences. It gets the job done, but not well. My render times in PE 9 for AVCHD is faster than real time at least. It’s just really slow working and playing back in the timeline.

I think a new i7 which is a quad core with hyperthreading would do the trick for the actual editing part, even on a laptop, especially with PE 10. If you expect to go big with something like CS5.5, a laptop gets pretty expensive. But a new i7, especially if you had a seperate graphics processor,should mow through AVCHD in Elements.

Participant

I am pleased to report $60 at Best Buy got me 8gb ofRAM for may laptop and I just played through the timeline on my wedding project without a single hitch.

I’m looking forward to doing more editing on the project to see how the process goes, but so far so good. All of the long pauses when I start and stop seem to be gone and it’s performing the way it should.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best digital storage for video editors — 2021

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
homicide-bootstrap