NTSC or PAL

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I really fell in love with the Panasonic AG-DVX100B camera and want to get it, but the problem is, it only comes in 2 formats: NTSC or PAL. The US version does 24P/30P/60i. The PAL version does 25P/50i. There is no one version of the camera that does both 25P and 30P.

I need to make both PAL and NTSC videos, since I will have different projects that will need different formats.

Is it a big deal to get this camera and convert from PAL to NTSC or visa versa when needed, or do I have to give up this purchace and get a camera that can shoot both?

Thank you

Inactive

I have converted PAL to NTSC in the past and and the output looks real good. Great through my eyes but some may disagree. I personally would purchase the format that would be the most used and convert when needed. Canopus Procoder does a nice job of this.

Participant

kkmac Wrote:

I have converted PAL to NTSC in the past and and the output looks real good. Great through my eyes but some may disagree. I personally would purchase the format that would be the most used and convert when needed. Canopus Procoder does a nice job of this.

I would have thought it would look better going from NTSC (29.97 FPS) to PAL (25 FPS) in that you would be going from a higher data rate to a lower one – From PAL to NTSC wouldn’t you need to replicate rather that delete frames?

Zvi,

You may want to look at the Canon XH-A1 or G1. You can actually get one of these camcorders to do both NTSC and PAL formats, but you have to pay more (I think $500) and send in the camera to the nearest Canon factory for the upgrade.

Mark

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best smartphone cameras for video — 2021

Nowadays, more and more people are reaching for their smartphones to shoot video. In recent years, smartphones have advanced drastically in regards to their shooting abilities. However, which smartphones boast the best shooting capabilities? After much consideration, we have...
homicide-bootstrap