Note on output for video shot in 1080/60p mode.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Some cameras now shoot at the high frame rate of 60 frames per second progressive (actually 59.94 fps). However, I have found that when you produce your finished product you should set the frame rate at 60 fps (not at 59.94 fps) to sync with 60 Hz line frequency.

Participant

How did you come to this conclusion? I’m pretty sure that’s not correct.

There’s a reason why video was first 29.97, although, I’m not sure why. 59.94 is simply twice as fast.

Also, in general, your output settings should match your footage settings.

Participant

Rob,

When I produce a video at 59.94 fps it shows little jumps every second or so. These go away if I produce it at 60 fps. Also, if there are ac powered lights in the video there is some flicker at 59.94 fps not present at 60 fps. My camera is a Panasonic HDC HS700 using the 1080/60p mode and I display the finished MPEG file on a flat screen TV through HDMI.

Robert

Participant

Rob,

Some further comments. The product should be in sync with your display. For example my laptop has a screen refresh rate of 60Hz and my TV is 120Hz.

Incidentally regarding the significance of the recent availability of 60p camcorders and display devices , Douglas Trumbull, a pioneer of fast-frame-rate techniques, describing his earlier experiments said;

“When we shot test films at 24, 36, 48, 60, 66, and 72 frames per second we didn’t have words in English that described the phenomenon. We immediately saw a profoundly different kind of experience happening up around 60 frames: The surface of the screen became like a window into reality.”

Mr. Trumbull will receive a lifetime achievement Oscar this month. (Source: San Francisco Chronicle, February 5-11, 2012, Sunday Datebook p. 23)

Robert

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best camera bags and cases — 2021

Finding the right camera bag or case for your gear can be challenging, particularly if this is the first bag or case you've ever purchased.
homicide-bootstrap