Not sure which camcorder to get?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi all, I am wanting to tape a few instructional cooking videos’ to streamline on to the web and for the post production of DVD’s. I have done research but pretty much confused on all the necessary specs for the right camcorder for me.

Im thinking low lux as not all kitchens have great lighting, a great microphone, 24/25/30 scan, 1080. I have a 7 year old Sony Vison Handycam DCR TRV9 ( :… I know I know.. thats why im so uncertain what to go with … i haven’t a clue

I’d prefer to have the hard drive backup, interchangeable lenses, like the JVC HD110 but is this really necessary. The GL doesnt sound to user friendly etc., etc., I just want something that will be easy to edit with out losing to much data from the production.

What about the Sony 2100… But it doesnt have the basic scan features

Your suggestions on the best camera to shoot clear are certainly appreciated.

Participant

Yea Im still not sure about a few things. I just thought i needed to stay away from High definition as its not the norm now. Im not sure if I need anything real fancy thus the reason I’d start with a vx 2100 or 2000 versus the JVC 110 or the FX, etc. Shouldnt I have everything i need for the production and post production with the VX’s to achieve high quality cooking videos/DVD (minus, xlr, lighting, etc). Is it that i need to get a beta? If I did use a vx what would some of the con variables be?

Thanks for helping me make sense of everything.

Participant

Would the VX help produce good enough resolution for a cooking instructional and duplicate on a DVD? Would the pic be too grainy? I know editing has a lot to do with the end product but what about the VX?

Would i fare better if i purchased a beta or go straight to a FX or a JVC 110?

Thanks

Inactive

Hi Robyne.

The GL-2 and the VX-2100 will both basically produce "broadcast quality" SD video. I’ve put a few comercials on the air for clients, and there’s just the tiniest differece in quality from mine versus the guys with super expensive cameras. So in short, "Yes" the quality is good enough to make and distribute DVD’s. If it weren’t we wouldn’t use it for event videography.

On the Canon end, the GL-2 does have some neat features you can’t get on the VX-2100, and it’s cheaper. You’d want to have lighting if you bought this camera, but you should really have that eithr way if you’re producing a video on a set (and a kitchen is a set). Don’t rely on home lighting for a video you expect to sell. You will be let down!

High Def is nifty, and if you can afford it, you’ll be five years ahead of everyone out there. Plus, video shot in HD will look very clear and crisp converted to SD, whereas SD can’t go High def and maintain much clarity.

In the here and now though, there are problems with high definition, in my opinion. First, there’s not a Standard format for watching High Def videos. It might look like Blu-Ray will win the market right now, but Betamax looked like it would win the market in the 80’s, and who owns a betamax player today? With The HDDVD format still butting heads with blu-ray, there’s a lot of potential that you could invest lots of money in equipment that’ll be useless in five years, wheras there will still be a lot of SD TV’s out there for a long time to come yet, and even HD TV’s can deal with SD fine.

Plus, how many people do you know who own a high def player right now, either Blu-ray or HDDVD? I can count everyone I know on one hand and have 5 fingers left to spare. If you released a High def disc today, you would have virtually no market to sell your product to, and the insane cost to produce a single high def disc (over $30) would prevent you from making profits on a highly competative market. When you’ve got competition like Alton Brown and the food network, you need to make it easy for people to get your disc.

You might want to look into a high def camera, and produce SD video with it. That would be better than expecting people to upgrade their DVD players to accomadate the video. But then, cameras only have a life span of a few years before they’re really either obsolete or broken, so if it takes more than a couple years for the High def market to take off (which I see as very probable) you might have wasted money on high def that you didn’t need during that camera’s life.

Weigh your needs and get what best suits you. If you’re willing to stick around SD, the GL-2 or VX-2100 are both fine cameras.

Inactive

By the way, welcome to videomaker! πŸ™‚

Participant

Jim thanks so so much.

If I could get help on just a few more things I think I will feel more than comfortable with making a purchase. The thing i don’t like about the Canon is that its optical sensor is 1/4 . I was really hoping to get at least 1/3. The thing i don’t like about the Sony is that is doesnt have a built in XLR and I think i would like to stay with the 1080 and I think i like the smooth look versus the real real crisp look. I often question if the 24 scan is really that important for what i want to do with the cooking instructionals. Any opinion on the above.

All in all if i was granted two more questions I’d like to ask "Does the performance of the vx 2100 heavily outweigh the vx 2000. Is it worth the extra $1000.00 especially if i have an xlr, and the lighting system set up in and around the kitchen?

And is it true that one camera could be easier to manage during the post productions/edit than another? If so, which of the VX is more user-friendly to edit.

Thanks your insight has really helped me understand and I think help with this post will help me understand the whole pic enough to make a purchase. I have gone window shopping, handled a few cameras, researched at least 30 hours and your help is helping more than any of the above expressed.

Inactive

robyne,

In reading what you have posted thus far, it appears that youre on the right track in doing your research. It also appears that you need to dig a little deeper. The GL2 does NOT have an onboard XLR interface either but you can get a special adapter from Canon that will let you hook up two XLR mics to it. You are correct in that the VX2100 does not have any XLR interface either but there are companies such as BeachTek that make real nice adapters for this camera (as well as others) so that you can hook up XLR mics to it too.

To the human eye, the difference from going from a 1/4 CCD to a 1/3 CCD on higher end cameras will be very hard to distinguish. The only time you would really notice it is maybe is in low light filming of which the larger chip (1/3) would maybe show a better picture because it is slightly bigger and captures more light. If youre planning on video taping in a well lit kitchen, the chip size difference will probably not be noticeable.

BTW: Im not sure how far you are going to take this but if you are serious about putting together a production unit together for a cooking show, you probably should get 2 cameras.

It also sounds like you may be confused with regards to HDV/SD and resolution. Dont worry though because there are a kagillion articles on the internet that you can search for that will explain everything in detail. Just type what youre looking for in one of the search engines. As compusolver mentioned, 1080 doesnt relate to SD cameras and if you’re producing a video style show for TV or DVD, you really don’t need 24fps.

RAM

Inactive

Great advice, RAM.

24p isn’t really all that important for a production unless you specifically want a film look. Otherwise, 30p, which is available on all the cameras listed so far, will give you a very similar film look. But you can also film in TV-standard 60i and convert it to 24p in your NLE. The quality isn’t exactly the same, but it still gives you that "feel" if that’s what you’re going for.

The advice on getting multiple cameras is very good. I’m a little ashamed that I didn’t think of it earlier myself. even for a production like this, it would be a good idea to have two cameras rolling, so you don’t have to go back and do too many extra takes for filler.

Again, if you want to go high definition, that’s fine, but unless you’ve got money coming out your ears, it’s really not worth it, in my opinion. When you play high def video on a SD DVD player o TV, the difference is virtually indistinguishable from a SD camera like the ones we’ve mentioned.

If you want a set of built-in XLR inputs, you’ll have to get a camera like the Sony PD-170, or Canon’s XL-2. The VX-2100 and the GL-2 don’t come with XLR inputs (though as RAM mentioned, there are fairly inexpensive adapters to do this. Plus, you only need this feature on one of yur cameras anyway, so why pay to have a permanent jack on all of them?

Hope that helps. If not, you can print out all of my posts for kindling for your next bbq πŸ™‚

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap