Not into making money?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Generally speaking, it appears that the vast majority of posters here are into video for reasons OTHER than making money. This is NOT an indictment. I only note my observation because most posts seem to be about a hobby, fun, experimental, creative or entertainment project and not so much about how to generate income with your video efforts. I ask similar and related questions from time-to-time but thought it might be time to inquire once again. What is MOST important to you regarding your video endeavors?

Participant

Earl, I have to admit that I like all the reasons that you just posted on but the primary reason is to make some money. I love to push myself to see what I can come up with, so I experiment. I also think it is fun and I love to be creative. I need to come up with a demo real one of these days though, just not sure how to go about it with such an eclectic types of videos that I have produced. Ranging from real estate, heavy metal music, to industrial / informative vids. I am not getting the inspiration or inclination of how to put all those together into a coherent demo real.

I hear ya, Charles. My current “Celebrate Life” demo isn’t necessarily all that and a bag of chips, but it does reflect the diversity of what I do commercially, or offer in general. I wanted to do something that offered a glimpse into the wide range of productions I have experience doing. Here’s that demo, compressed for the Web, from my website. I also use this on my direct-mail distribution DVD that also contains extended samples of many other categories.

Participant

That is pretty good Earl. When I do mine would you mind if I bounced it off you to see what you think?

Hey Earl,

For me it boils down to doing the work I love and making my living at it. I do the occasional no-budget project to keep my chops up, but this stuff is too expensive to be a hobby that doesn’t pay for itself….

Would be delighted, Charles. Giterdun!

You make a valid point, Wolfgang. Tis expensive, if you want to keep up with the technology, or even try.

I don’t for a moment consider myself to be the best out there, but most of what I shoot is for money/commercial. With that being said, I also love what I do and need to find time to do more just for the fun of it. I do some pro bono work for what I consider to be good causes to push myself and that helps to keep my “creative” side satisfied to a certain extent.

If anyone is interested, below is my showreel from 2010. Most of the stuff in there was NOT paid work, as I was just getting started. I’d like to think that I’ve improved since then and produced a cooking show for about 10 months which was fairly well-received and am doing much more commercial work as a result.

Showreel

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best smartphone cameras for video — 2021

Nowadays, more and more people are reaching for their smartphones to shoot video. In recent years, smartphones have advanced drastically in regards to their shooting abilities. However, which smartphones boast the best shooting capabilities? After much consideration, we have...
homicide-bootstrap