Non-Aired Project Billing

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi,

I have a client that wanted a new commercial for his Jewelry store and asked me to shoot and edit as he had the script and actors. As it turned out the new version of the commercial was almost the same as the past two commercials shot by another company — just updated.

After shooting the spot in two locations and delivering 3-different version of the 30-second spot , the owner did not like the actors (that he chose) and did not want to air the commercial. I submitted additional treatments to let us produce/direct the project but he wanted to go with his idea and direct it as he has done in the past.

Now, I have a :30 commercial spot that he does not want to air, but has been shot and edited, at least the review edit — not final version which would only be about another hour to finish.

My question is:

What percentage of the project should I charge him? He should pay for the production and the post-production time that was used to produce the preview version..

Thanks for your help!!

~Allen

— This is the last time I let him try to direct a project — he knows how to sell Jewelry and I produce videos.

Rob
      Participant

In my opinion, you’re not charging based on whether or not a project airs. You’re not even necessarily charging for the techniques use to make the video. You’re charging for your time and experience. So whether or not he, or any client, wants to use a video you’ve created, you charge them for the number of hours you’ve put into the project.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hey Rob,

Thanks for the reply and this was pretty much how I have been thinking about moving forward with the invoicing but just wanted to get another opinion. Thanks again!

Allen

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Allen,

I agree with Rob. Not airing the commercial has nothing to do with how much time you spent producing it. If it were me, I’d knock off about 10% of the cost just to show that you are still in the game with your client but act as quick as you can to get all your money for the first commercial. The last thing you want to do is take the time to produce another commercial just to get a similar outcome…two spots the client doesn’t want to air and no money in your pocket to show for it. Good luck.

Kris

————

Kris Simmons

Founder – MindYourVideoBusiness.com

Owner – 6 STRONG MEDIA

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best new video tech at CES 2019

Every year, we head to CES to check out the latest innovations in consumer technology and look for the next big thing in video production. CES 2019 was no exception.
homicide-bootstrap

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.