NLE storage options/solutions

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hey all! When I’m not using a workstation at school/work, I do all my own editing on a laptop, mostly personal stuff (although I’m finishig up a videography internship this summer and want to go pro when I finish up at NYU), and I’ve been doing everything on the system drive–though one project at a time is all I can fit (I save the projects I’m not working on to a slow external USB drive).

I’d really like an external hard drive that I can capture and even edit on. I’ve read some posts here and on other forums about storage, but I’m still not clear on what’s best for NLE work. I’m looking at a 500GB SATA drive and SATA card for my laptop, reasoning that when I need more storage OR speed, I can get another one and RAID-0 them for a boost to both (and I suppose I’ll figure out how to do that when the time comes). Is this good reasoning?

I hope people can post and talk about the storage solutions they use for their projects. Thanks!

Inactive

I’m not totally sure if external sata cards for a laptop support raid. Plus, your laptop motherboard would need to be able to handle this, as the system bus would need to be RAID ready.

Plus, you really need three harddrives to do RAID well.

Sata or firewire harddrives will do the trick for faster speed, but I doubt there’s any way to set up RAID. Of course, smarter, more computer literate folks out there might know something I don’t. It certainly wouldn’t be the first time.

SuperSteve,

I’ve had similiar intentions as well with my current mac at home. I’ve got a 160GB seagate in there now at it’s nearly full. I’ve considered doing a RAID and adding another 160. To do this with mac or pc you’ll need SATA RAID Controller. Unfortunately, I’m not sure what kind of support for that you’ll find for your laptop. I don’t know though, this is not my area of expertise. You should be able to find some resources online about that.

Doing a RAID is not a bad idea if you intend on going pro in the next couple of years, simply because you’ll probably end up doing some HDV or HD student work sooner or later. Having the throughput (i.e. RAID) for that would be nice, although SD is going to be around for awhile. Nothing like being a starving standard definition student to earn yourself some street cred.

Mark

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best camera bags and cases — 2021

Finding the right camera bag or case for your gear can be challenging, particularly if this is the first bag or case you've ever purchased.
homicide-bootstrap