nightshot during the day

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

what should I modify on my Sony HDR-SR12 in order to use the nightshot feature during the day without worrying about overexposure?

thanks a lot

Hi liveho,

I am not familiar with that camera, but I can’t understand why you would want to use the nightshot feature during the day.

Inactive

Hmm, not really a Sony guy so I haven’t used Night Shot before. But I’m pretty sure it uses ‘invisible’ infared light and then the sensor picks it up.

So since it uses the infared light to make an image, will it not really matter how much real light there is?

I don’t really know since I have never used it before.

If not maybe trying using a ND filter, closing up the aperture, or increasing the shutter speed.

I feel like an idiot now.

Cheers,

The Sony ‘nightshot’ uses ‘ghetto’ infra-red in that it cuts down on the color signal from the chip. I wouldn’t recommend using it for a day shoot. Are you trying to alter the recorded colors to get a ‘Matrix-green’ look or are you trying to simulate night? If you’re trying for the Matrix look spare your poor camera and do a color correction in your NLE software. If you’re trying for night, use an ND filter (ND4 if your camera has it) or get some window tint to put in front of your lens. Don’t make it too dark, because it will make it tough to ‘tweak’ the look in post.

Participant

” The Sony ‘nightshot’ uses ‘ghetto’ infra-red in that it cuts down on the color signal from the chip. I wouldn’t recommend using it for a day shoot. Are you trying to alter the recorded colors to get a ‘Matrix-green’ look or are you trying to simulate night? If you’re trying for the Matrix look spare your poor camera and do a color correction in your NLE software. If you’re trying for night, use an ND filter (ND4 if your camera has it) or get some window tint to put in front of your lens. Don’t make it too dark, because it will make it tough to ‘tweak’ the look in post.”

I’m pretty sure the goal is to see through peoples clothes. there was a Sony pulled off the market some years back for precisely that reason.

only three posts by this user, two on teleconverters/telephoto attachments and one on using ir during the day….

probably a freak that wants to see through womens tops.

Participant

night vision in the day is just inverted brights and blacks.

You can do this with a filter in post and still have usable footage when that doesnt work.

Participant

even the name “LIVE HO” tells you something about what he wants to do with his camera…don’t feed this troll. report him to the police….administrators…please? This guy’s a predator.

Inactive

D0n,

Your post just made me laugh. I was actually thinking about that when I first read this post, but I said “nawww that guy can’t be wanting to do that”

So Liveho if you are trying to accomplish that peeping tom effect, I applaud you ambtion to do it right.

Your other threads also reinforce the fact that you are indeed doing some ‘peeping’.

Good for you,

I hope you enjoy being lonely.

“I’m pretty sure the goal is to see through peoples clothes. there was a Sony pulled off the market some years back for precisely that reason.”

Get da’&#%$outta’ here! I’ve been working with Infra-Red hardware for years and never heard of that. If true, that’s just retarded! It’s knuckleheads like that who cause me to check under the lid in public bathrooms. Please tell us that’s not what you’re trying to do. I hope not. Such voyeurism when detected can be constituted as Rape and the penalties will be compounded per violation (i.e. the more tapes they find you made, the more time you get.) It would surely be a sad thing to have to tell your new ‘jailhouse husband’ why you’re pullin’ down time in the slammer.

Participant

Yes it’s possible. I know how to do it. I actually answered the question, then immediately thought…wait a miniute, looked at the op’s name did a search, and edited my answer.

It has a place in artwork, or maybe even in fashion, but in the hands of who knows? I used the effect for some erotic vampire still photos for a client that wanted the photos for her husband. you can actually see a persons veins under the skin if you shoot it right.

not worth publishing a how to considering the risks.

Participant

OK – Opening myself up to ridicule here but what the hell…

I use Night Shot during the day for two things.

1) Artistic look – You can get some interesting looks pre-post with it. I used to do that with color and B&W infrared back in my pro photog days.

2) (and here is where it gets weird) I am the resident skeptic and official videographer of a paranormal research group – Some folks (not me) purport that paranormal activity transcends the visible spectrum and by employing the night shot aspects of my camcorder during daylight hours (yes I do know how to do this) I might record something out of the ordinary (haven’t so far – even at Gettysburg – Some stills can be viewed here: http://travel.webshots.com/album/357348578nuxrBR). And if anyone is interested, my views on the paranormal are – Many things are possible and I cannot (nor can any other living person) claim any empirical knowledge of what happens post death (exception MIGHT be for those who have had near death experiences – the type where they did die and were brought back) – My job is to document and present any “evidence” gathered, nothing more, nothing less.

birdcat and D0n,

The applications you all mention (though interesting) are all well and good. I’m still waiting for liveho to refute these accusations.

Inactive

i’m interested in this subject also, but for another reason, along the lines of birdcat.

i saw a documentary that showed ufo’s that were filmed during the day using nightshot converted to shoot during the day. it didn’t say how he achieved it, but he had 2 identical cameras setup next to each other, one with nightshot and showed objects not visible to the camera normally.

i film chemtrails outside our house almost daily, andorbs have been filmed (by others) hovering around chemtrails as if taking samples.

anyway, that’s why i’m interested in that function. i’ll try some lenses, but i was under the impression that there was a way to adjust the settings manually, but i don’t see that ability in the menus.

i have a sony hdr-sr11 by the way. peace

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best tripods for video — 2021

Carefully comparing and reviewing system specs will ultimately help you find the best tripod to fit your needs and your budget.
homicide-bootstrap