Night Filming

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I’m going to be filming a sea turtle conservation project on the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica for two weeks. Most (all) of the action takes place on the beach at night, and I need to film without traditional white lights, in fact red is only light I’m legally allowed to use. I have a little Sony DCR-PC101 that has Nightshot that I may try, but I wondered if any of you had any other ideas, as I’d much rather use my VX2100. Does anyone make a bright red LED flashlight? I’m open to all suggestions, but only have a few days before the shoot begins. Thanks.

Brian

Inactive

try fitting a red gel or car tailight lens to a powerful recharble emergency flashlight.

Participant

out of curiosity why can’t you use regular tungten lights? energy problems or just laws or what?

Inactive

I believe the lights disturb the turtles, preventing them fron laying eggs.
      red light doesn’t penetrate water the way blue light does therefore it stands to reason that sea turtles may not be sensitive to redlight, and it may be outside thier visual acuity.
      Just a guess, don’t ask me why, but my head is oft so full of useless trivia, there’s hardly any room for reason or common sense.
      lol

Inactive

You are correct. Apparently red doesn’t cause the pupils to contract, and allows you to see better in dark conditions. This is why pilots often use red lights in the cockpit, and why the military use it for night ops. My little Handycam has night shot, and when it’s turned on it emits a gentle red LED beam. Records in green… go figure.

So, the red light doesn’t alarm the turtles, allowing them to do their thing and lay their eggs. That’s the theory, anyway!

Inactive

If you camera has digital effects, I’d opt t turn on the nightshot, then turn on the digital effect to B+W or sepia, add an infra red vid light and shoot beautiful NOT GREEN monochrome!

Inactive

Now THAT’S a good idea. I’ll post the result on myvideoblog!

Participant

Hi,
      Consider: Shooting the turtle action with a VX2100 set at 1/30th second shutter speed. If you have the moon, this should be plenty of light. The VX will amplify the light to 2 or 3X what the human eye perceives. Don’t know how or why, but it does.
      I’ve always thought the night shot effect was too close to a M-1 sniper scope effect.
      Hate to say this because the single source of light (moon) could cause lens flare, but I’d suggest a filter on lens to protect from wave spray, inevitable at the beach.
      Enjoy your Night Life!
      REGARDS … TOM 8)

Participant

I use a Sony HC40 and the nightshot is great when converted to B&W. They also make a small external infrared light that extends the range significantly (http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_Infrared_Light_HVL_IRM/4505-6456_7-20648864.html).

I also thought the VX2100 could signigicantly boost the gain?

Inactive

Many thanks for all the feedback. I’ve been playing around with both cameras at night here at home and believe I’ll be able to make it work. I will definitely post the results when I get home next month.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition, and its...
homicide-bootstrap