newbie with event videography questions

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I’ve been a serious video hobbiest for a few years, mostly family events and a couple weddingd for friends. I’m seriously thinking of getting into wedding videography as a vocation (part time at first to test the waters) and have some questions. This forum seems to be a great resource and your input would be invaluable.

1. The practical question first: For someone with adequate experience (which I need to build) , do you feel this field is saturated or is there enough work to make a good living at it? By this, I mean $40 – 60k a year (the high end is what I make at my “real” job now and I couldn’t take too big of a financial hit).

2. For good start-up equipment, any suggestions? Here’s what I’m leaning toward:
      – 2 Sony PD170 videocameras (1 for unmanned video and 1 for moving shots)
      – 1 good fluid head tripod & a monopod
      – 1 good wireless mic
      – Lighting?
      – PowerMac Dual 2 GHz G5 wih 128 video ram, 1 gig or RAM, and final cut pro/DVD Studio Pro (I’m a longtime Mac afficianado and have this setup already) for video/aude editing and DVD production
      – High end VHS recorder for tape transfers if needed

3. Suggestions on getting started? My thought is to solicit 2-3 free jobs when I get the right set-up through direct contacts and a website, then look at market pricing as my experience increases.

Thanks for any advice!!!

Inactive

Thanks for the information. I was hoping to get the straight dope from someone in the business. Anyone else have similar experiences?

Participant

I would agree with Hank! There are alot of people doing some of the same vid! You do have to find ways to differ from the pack!

Hey Hank I got a question for you. You said you use 3 camera’s. Are all your camera’s the same (Panasonic DVC-7). How would you rate this camera?

Participant

Cool Hank!!! LOL about the duct tape! But hey however you use your camera to shoot is cool with me! I’m a big believer in doing things the way I want to do them. Clients don’t know all of our tricks so as long as their satisfied it’s all good! Appreciate the insight!!!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best smartphone cameras for video — 2021

Nowadays, more and more people are reaching for their smartphones to shoot video. In recent years, smartphones have advanced drastically in regards to their shooting abilities. However, which smartphones boast the best shooting capabilities? After much consideration, we have...
homicide-bootstrap