Newbie Travel/Camera/Requirements

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

New to the site and have questions about breaking out of the cubical and into the biz.

My Degree: Computing Science with software/database/web development experience
      My experience: not too much more than the usual guy with the camcorder on vacation trying to take professional video
      My Camera: Panasonic PVGS200 3CCD MiniDV
      My Software: Adobe Premier Pro

Brief History: I have itchy feet and run away quite often. My most recent escape was to buy a sailboat in Florida, recruit my brother as first mate, and spend 18 months in the Caribbean. I ended up, and fell in love several times, in the Dominican Republic and had to leave since I ran out of money. I’m back and ready for more adventures.

My Goals: I would like to film these travel adventures and find a market for these products. Really I would like to eventually do this for a living. My dream job.

My Questions:
      1) What training should I pursue. I’m willing to spend the time to learn. Books or school or??
      2) What would be the camera to have since it will need to be easy to transport and use during these escapades?
      3) What is the market for this type of video?? I love Albie who does the travel show on channel 13.
      4) Is there anyone on the board who has experience in this area and can you discuss a little?

I appreciate all input.

Steve L

Participant

I am very much in your situation, I too have a CS degree and am working in that industry.

To answer your question. Don’t take risks… Keep your day job as it were.

I would suggest making some kind of a low budget show along the lines of what you want to do. You could even post them on sites like revver.com to make a little cash off of it. But get it spread out on the web, and if you have good material then you never know where that will take you. If it doesn’t take you anywhere, well at least you had fun while doing it.

Now to try to do ti the tradional way you should go back to college, get a mass communications degree and try to get a job in the industry.

I would think though that if you spend all your time wishing you were in the biz, then you will not be enjoying it as much as if it were only a hobby. The problem with breaking into the biz is that it seems to be nearly impossible. But if you can get enough exposure you might actually get taken up by a network of something.

As for me I want the same thing. only I want to be a filmmaker, and making movies is even harder to break into. So my goal is to just make independent productions that I enjoy making and if I somehow succeed, then hooray for me! If not, at least I had a blast doing it.

I think with that kind of a mindset you will never be dissapointed. Hopefully someone can give you better advice then me, but I hope this at least gives you somehting to think about.

I don’t know if this is any interest to you
      http://www.turnhere.com/

They have lots of short travel videos.

Participant

Hi,
      Good perspective Thomas T!
      There have been so many travel shows/series, many done very well. How to do something different as well as competent and have access to a market???
      Steve, you haven’t mentioned being an archeologist, icthyeologist (professor of fish/spelling??), or even a historian, but you seem to be a sailing ship dude. So perhaps adventures on your tall ship could be a major theme. Maybe a commercial you could sell to Holland, Come Back to Aruba; Lose Yourself On Our Beaches??
      In any event, you need to shoot some demo’s based on your own trips for starters. You will find that you may not have as much time to enjoy your trips when you are making a professional level doc about the experience. Or you will enjoy it in a different way and you may draw a higher class of dates who are willing to hang out for takes 3, 4, and 5. If you want to be the talent in front of the camera, I may be available to shoot your show for a slight fee.
      A few years ago, one of my crazy ideas was to explore hiring myself out to individuals of means taking extravagant exotic trips who might want docs of their trips. These same individuals afterall spend nice sums of money on docs of their extravagant exotic weddings! It appeared that I would be needing to spend lots of money for placing advertising (5 figures) in the hoitey toitey travel mags to get it rolling and that sort of took the wind out of my sails.
      It happened kind of out of the blue that last year I shot about 20 hours of video over almost 4 weeks of a US Filipino couple’s trip back to their roots in the Philippines. Still a work(s) in progress, we are preparing grant applications to try get funding for a serious doc on expat land property rights based on some of this footage (including smiling faces of squatters residing on Uncle Alex’s supposed property.) For a travelogue on where and how poor people live in the Philippines, check out info on the moderately successful theatrically released film, Cavite, on http://www.imdb.com. (That’s for internet movie data base.) Made for under $10K I believe. The Cavite entry includes my review of the film.
      Good luck in your endeavors.
      REGARDS … TOM 8)

Participant

Thanks for the input Tom.

Sound like you have a good idea about renting yourself out. I read an article about a guy that it doing contract work for the big cable news outfits. He was complaining a little about missing his kids birthdays and such but other than that he said he travled a ton. I’m sure he spent years and years getting to where he is but what a job!

Nobody ever answered my other questions regarding equipment and training. I know there’s someone out there with an opinion.

Steve

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

How to choose the right computer for video editing: 4 key specs to check

Buying the best workstation for your needs means understanding how the CPU, GPU, RAM and storage options work together to enhance overall performance.
homicide-bootstrap