Newbie question, help please

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hi, First post,absolutely new to miniDV. I’m wondering if when capturing video to a PC if the software divides your clips into idividual files or is it all one big file that you have to divide up manually. I bought an HD camcorder and I’m extremely disappointed with the video quality, I’ve read that DV is the way to go but I’m concerned about transferring in order to edit. Also, I downloaded Corel’s Ulead, and it will create 5.1 Dolby surround for DVD’s from a 2 channel source, I notice that Vegas is 5.1 compatible, but the website doesn’t mention if it encodes 5.1 from a 2 channel source, does anyone know if it can simulate like Ulead does? Any response would be appreciated. Thanks, and, uh, hello! πŸ˜€ ,

Participant

Bart Wrote:

Hi, First post,absolutely new to miniDV. I’m wondering if when capturing video to a PC if the software divides your clips into idividual files or is it all one big file that you have to divide up manually. I bought an HD camcorder and I’m extremely disappointed with the video quality, I’ve read that DV is the way to go but I’m concerned about transferring in order to edit. Also, I downloaded Corel’s Ulead, and it will create 5.1 Dolby surround for DVD’s from a 2 channel source, I notice that Vegas is 5.1 compatible, but the website doesn’t mention if it encodes 5.1 from a 2 channel source, does anyone know if it can simulate like Ulead does? Any response would be appreciated. Thanks, and, uh, hello! πŸ˜€ ,

1st: What type of HD camcorder did you get?
      2nd: There are many programs that you can use to download the video from your camcorder. I use WinDV. a tiny little application that allows you to download in either of the AVI 1 or 2 formats and you can specify exactly how many frames you want before it creates a new file so that you don’t have gigantic video files. Besides, when you begin editing them into your software, the breaks between the files will be seemless.

3rd: Regarding the HD and video quality. Depending on the camera you are using, there are different HD formats and you may need the software that came with the camera to download it to your computer.

Hope this helps a little.

Inactive

Thanks for the reply, I should have been clearer, when I said I bought an HD, I was referring to a Hard Drive camcorder, I have since sold it and ordered a Canon HV20. You said when transferring you can stipulate the number of frames before a new file is created, won’t this cause problems if you cut a shot in half, or is that what you meant about them being seemless when editing? I assume you can re-join them without any difficulty. Thanks again.

Inactive

When I upload from miniDV to my computer, the software usually recognizes the start of a new shot and creates a new AVI file. But sometimes the software does not recognize the transition to a new shot, so a few of my AVI files will contain 2 shots. This typically happens when I have reviewed the previous shot, and didnt forward quite to the end of it before recording the next shot.

No big deal, πŸ™‚
      Ken Hull

Inactive

Ken Wrote:

When I upload from miniDV to my computer, the software usually recognizes the start of a new shot and creates a new AVI file. But sometimes the software does not recognize the transition to a new shot, so a few of my AVI files will contain 2 shots. This typically happens when I have reviewed the previous shot, and didnt forward quite to the end of it before recording the next shot.

No big deal, πŸ™‚
      Ken Hull

Thanks Ken, may I ask what software you are using?

Inactive

I’m using Sony Vegas 7 + DVD. And I’m working with standard-def video. Although I think HDV video would behave the same way while uploading.
      Ken Hull

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap