Newbie question – capturing video to AVI – first post

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Newbie question – capturing video to AVI – first post

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Sorry if I’m in the wrong forum here.

I’m a newbie trying to ultimately burn a DVD I can watch on my player.

Equipment:

GL2 – just got it…still learning.

Dell Dimension P.C. with firewire port, Windows XP

Software. Adobe Premier Elements 3.0 – haven’t worked with it yet.

Via my firewire port, I can capture video from my GL2 to windows movie maker. All data ends up in .wmv format.

I understand that to burn a DVD that can be played in a standard player, I have to capture in AVI format and then burn to DVD.

What do I do next?

Do I need separate software to capture in AVI? I don’t think I need a separate card as my Dell P.C. does have a firewire port and will capture to Windows Movie Maker.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

——————————————————————————–

Inactive

westernminnguy,
      Welcome to video making. I think you’re gonna have fun! The Canon GL2 is a good camcorder, which shoud serve you well. To create a DVD playable on regualr DVD players, you will need DVD authoring software. ( :'( I know, I know…. more software to buy.) Some editing software comes packaged with DVD authoring software, but I suspect that is not the case with Adobe Premier Elements. But Adobe Premier Elements should allow you to capture to AVI files. You then edit with AVI files. After that, you render the final edited version of your movie to either an AVI file or an MPEG2 file. (If you render to MPEG2, you’ll probably also need to render the soundtrack separately as a WAVE file, but the software instructions should tell you.)

Now you’re ready to use the DVD authoring software to prepare files for the DVD, and to burn a DVD. Some authoring software requires MPEG2 files as input, but I think most authoring software can take AVI files and automatically do the conversion (to MPEG2) while preparing the files that will be burned to the DVD. When doing the actual burning, I recommend using quality blank DVDs. I made the mistake of using bargain DVDs, and they were only playable on computer DVD drives. When I switched to Sony blank DVDs, they coud be played on regualr stand-alone players. And use the "-R" type of DVDs, not the "+R" type. The "-R" are the most compatible with different players.

For DVD authoring software, I use Sony DVD Architect, but I think Roxio and Pinnacle also make authoring software. You could go to http://www.mediachance.com and download thier DVD-Lab authoring software (you can download a free 30-day trial version). I think Sony also has free trial DVD authoring software at http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com

Have fun! 🙂
      Ken Hull

Inactive

I’m not sure how much functionality Adobe stripped out of the Pro version of Premiere for their elements version, but I would imagine you can still capture video through it. This is probably the best way to get your footage, as Premiere will natively capture your videos as .avi files, which are better looking, easier to edit, and as much as Microsoft hates to say it, more universal (though not as universal as the .mov format, but that’s another topic for another day).

Once you capture it, You can edit it in premiere, and render the movie in a format suitable for transfer onto DVD. DVD’s are actually an encoded version of the MPEG-2 codec, and so ultimately your computer will need to convert it to that.

What software do you have for DVD creation?

Participant

Ken, Jim,

Sorry this response is so slow in coming.

Thanks so much for taking your time to reply. It’s very much appreciated and there is some good info here.

I’m really new at this. The GL2 that I’m using belongs to an organization I’m a part of but it looks like I’ll be working with it for some time to come.

Re: software.

Being brand new, I have just been using Windows Movie Maker to upload video using my P.C. I also bought, but have not even opened, a copy of Adobe Primier Elements 3.0. I can take it back if there is a better option.

It has been suggested to me that I would be better off with Vegas Studio instead of the Adobe software. I’m not sure which one is the easiest to work with as a newbie.

I’m trying not to buy software I won’t use in the end. I did this when I got started in shooting DSLR. So, as much as possible, I want to spend the money on good software that I’ll use in the long run.

Thanks again for all the help.

Participant

I’m still using Adobe Premiere Elements version 1.0 and it captures the video as AVI straight to the timeline. When I’m finished editing, there is a BURN DVD button which burns it onto a DVD with the option to make a DVD Menu or simply to burn the DVD so that it runs as Auto Play.

Inactive

Hey Western,

That GL2 is a good camera. I have a few of them myself. Treat ’em kindly and you’ll be very happy with the results.

If you didn’t get the manual for the camera from your organization, it might be worth grabbing it and reading through it sometime soon. It uses needlessly simplistic terms at times, but it does a great job of showing you all the features of the camera that you might otherwise miss.

Once you know what everything is, learn how to set it without looking at it. Believe me, being able to do this comes in really handy!

As far as what software you use for editing, that’s really up to you. Here’s my thoughts:

Movie Maker: Overly simplistic. It’s great to learn some basics on, but outside of cuts, dissolves, and few embarrassing effects and transitions you should NEVER IN YOUR LIFETIME USE, there’s not much more to it.

Vegas*: Far more power than Movie Maker (Which isn’t necessarily saying much: My great grandmother is more powerful than Movie Maker), and a very easy to use interface. A BIG downside to Vegas however, is that the interface is almost nothing like what you would find in a professional broadcast studio. That’s probably not a huge deal if you never plan on stepping foot in a TV studio, but it does make conversing with the pros a lot more difficult, since there are a lot of differences between Vegas and most of the rest of the Industry.

Premiere*: This would be my favorite for the PC platform. It’s very powerful, and Premiere Pro is in the second place position for being industry standard, right behind Avid. And if you want, (at least in the Pro version), you can swap the keyboard controls to clone Avid’s key setup. It’s the most powerful of these three, and it gives you a lot of great features that Vegas simply doesn’t have (yet).

And now, my *disclaimer. I own the professional versions of Vegas and Premiere, so I don’t have any clue as to what sort of functionality is in the basic versions. I will say that if you already have Premiere, it might be worth using it, just for the positive learning experience. Vegas is good stuff, don’t get me wrong, but if you want, in my opinion, the most powerful program is Premiere.

By the way, as an unrelated side note, can I assume that you live somewhere in Western Minnesota? If so, I live not too far from you, and I actually offer video training classes and consulting. If you or anyone at your organization want to learn one-on-one editing from a pro with over a decade’s experience, shoot me a message sometime.

Participant

On a Roll Wrote:

By the way, as an unrelated side note, can I assume that you live somewhere in Western Minnesota? If so, I live not too far from you, and I actually offer video training classes and consulting. If you or anyone at your organization want to learn one-on-one editing from a pro with over a decade’s experience, shoot me a message sometime.

Again, thanks to all of you that have posted a reply, for your help. This forum is very helpful.

Jim,

re: GL2 manual. I downloaded a copy of the manual off the Canon website.

You are only a couple of hours down the road from me. I live in Fergus Falls.

We head into the cities quite often and I’ll plan on making a side trip to see you one of these days. I’ll p.m. you when I know I"m coming to work out a time convenient for you.

Would a p.m. on this post work for you or should I send to your email?

Thanks again,

Rog Lee

Inactive

Either way works for me, though email is probably the most likely to get an immediate response. You can email me at info (at) my domain name (it’s the link in my signature), and I check that about once every 13 or 14 seconds X-D

Our home is west of the cities, in Maple Lake. According to mapquest, if you take I-94, it’s exactly 2 hours from Fergus Falls to my front door. From my front door to my editing suite is about 30 seconds. 🙂

Anyway, definitely let me know when you’re planning on being in the area. We’ll be out of town at the Videomaker Summit in New York October 4-11, but just about any other time before or after that week works well.

Like I said, that GL is a good camera. It’s one and only downside is poor low lighting capabilities, but there are even tricks to improve that.

Participant

Thanks Jim for the info.

See you sometime in the next month or two.

Rog Lee

Participant

Update:

Today, using Adobe Primier, I was able to upload video and make a DVD that plays well in our player.

The DVD is rough but it was fun to get to the point of being able to make one.

Thanks again all for all your help.

😀

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

A Lighting Buyer’s Guide

The best lights for video production — 2020

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap